Chapter 3: Hospitals & Strange Changes

Mae's POV

I HAD CALLED 911 AS soon as I had found Dex in the woods. They took him to the hospital and he was unconscious for a good majority of the time. He had almost died like three times. The doctors were worried he wouldn't make it. He did though, luckily. He finally, after one long month, got released today and I was so happy to have him back!

When we got back to the house Dex sat on the couch with me in silence. Most of his more traumatic wounds, on his legs, had healed, but there was a little scar above his lip. Finally I got sick of the silence and asked the question that had been bugging me for three weeks.

"So... What happened? In the woods I mean..." I asked, consciously. He didn't answer any of the police's questions, and was always shaking. I mean, how dramatic, almost dying in the woods. Looking back I almost laughed, I had a pretty dramatic experiences in my past. 

He looked at me for a moment then sighed, "Well, I was setting up camp and I heard a noise. I was then attacked, by a... monster."

I held in a laugh. This couldn't be true. There was no such things as monsters. It was all just a bunch of crazy talk. I was sure there were no monsters in Cloudcroft, elsewhere in the world, that was a different story. But not here. Dex must have seen the face I made and he sighed. 

"You don't believe me do you?" He said, softly. I didn't say a thing, I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He looked at me sadly knowing my answer. He got up then went to his room. Little did I know that would be the last 'normal' conversation we would have together in a long time.

*  *  *

Dex's POV

I lay in bed, thinking. I knew that Mae didn't believe me, but that was expected. It was why I didn't tell the cops, well, anything really. It still bugged me though. I hated people thinking I was lying when I was telling the truth. I needed time to think. 

I got out of bed and opened my back door. A cold blast of wind hit me. I stepped out and started to walk. I needed to prove I was telling the truth, or else Mae might think I was crazy for the rest of my life. I sighed and kept walking.

I looked up at the full moon, wishing I had proof of my attack. Well sometimes, you get what you wished for, and this was one of those times. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my head. I started to get dizzy, and I needed to sit down. Too late. I fell to the ground with a thud.

The pain was continuous. I tried to move, but I couldn't. It felt just like the time when the Cat Beast had me in the woods. I felt the urge to vomit, I tried to keep it down, but I couldn't. I hated vomiting. It went spewing my dinner of salad everywhere. Yuck.

I tried to get my bearings, but the more I fought, the more it hurt. Finally, exhausted, I gave up. It started to hurt everywhere. I couldn't tell what was happening, or how it was happening. I shut my eyes, waiting for the bitter-sweet end. Only it never came.

I opened my eyes, realizing that the pain had finally faded. However, something was defiantly wrong. I could see, in the dark for one, another was that all my senses seemed to be stronger. I walked, unsteadily to a stream. I needed water. When I bent down into the water for a drink, I noticed my reflection. Only it wasn't mine.

It was a cat. It had glossy brown fur and piercing yellow eyes. This wasn't real. It couldn't be! I looked up, shocked at what I had become. I looked similar to the Cat Beast that had attacked me. To similar. I didn't know what to do. I laid there shocked, this was just all too unreal.

Then a familiar shape, appeared from the shadows. It's grey fur, it's dark eyes. It was smiling, as if happy at what it had done. I looked at it, I was afraid. Very, very afraid. I tried to move back but it pounced on me, pinning me to the ground.

"Hello Dexter." It said.