Chapter 4: Werecats & New Girls

Dex's POV

I STARTED TO HYPERVENTILATE UNDER The Cat Beast's weight. Easy, I told myself, This is what it wants. I steadied my breathing and looked the monster straight in the eye. It hadn't changed in the four weeks, but why should it? The only difference was that it wasn't wearing that necklace. "How do you know my name?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

It, or rather they, looked presently happy by my question, and stepped off of me. "I know many things Dexter. You will too, if you listen." It said.

"What are you going to say?" I asked, cautiously.

"You and me are alike now. We are two of the same. Siblings, if you will. We know things that others can not possibly feel. I know you are hurt, you feel like your sister thinks you're crazy. You feel alone. I understand. I was there not so long ago myself." It purred, sweetly and almost understandingly.

"How did you know that? It only happened a few hours ago." I asked, shocked.

"When I mark someone I make it my business to know everything about them. Besides, a werecat can only mark so many in it's lifetime. You are my first. The more people I mark, the less my power gets, until it disappears, POOF!" It said, it's face scared at the thought. It seemed this 'Werecat' liked power.

"What is a werecat?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

"Us! We are werecats. We show our true power under the light of the full moon, three times a month. Most people know about our sisters, the werewolves, so we're like them with out the drool, and nasty dog stink." The werecat purred, I guess it was trying to be friendly, I suppose it would get rather lonely out here all by itself.

"So what's your name?" I asked it calmly.

"Charlotte. Charlotte White." She said, politely.

"Nice to meet you Charlotte, even though the last time we met you tried to kill me." I said, a bit too harshly.

She looked down, most likely blushing, "Yeah, sorry about that..." she said quietly.

I immediately felt bad. She must have been protecting her territory, or something, and I was some guy who barged in and scarred off all the prey. Of course I would be a little mad too. It didn't give her a excuse for the murders though. I guess being in my cat form had made me get a new perspective on things. I wanted to be friends with her, no matter the cost. For something about it felt... right. I lifted her head, so that she was looking at me.

"What to go for a run?" I asked, shyly.

"I thought you'd never ask." She said with a smile then started off into the woods, in a full on sprint. I smiled to myself and thought how wonderful it is to finally have a friend who gets me. Then I raised after her.

* * *

Mae's POV

When I went to school the next morning Dex was still fast asleep, the lucky duck. He got the rest of the week off to 'recover' but I think he is just fine. However, that just might be the jealousy talking. Yes I will flat out admit that I'm jealous of my brother, but who wouldn't be? He got a week off of school!

When I got there I let my mind drift while the teachers talked. I personally think high school is a drag. I mean I'm in ninth grade but they taught us this stuff in sixth grade. I didn't really consider myself smart, more like I just paid attention. So I was just bored. When school finally let out I went to meet my friends in front of the school. So my two best friends are boy-crazy curly-orange-haired Izzy, and super shy Skyler. They were cool.

Izzy was talking way too much about boys and saying that she like Ryan's new hair-do and Gilbert's new glasses. Skyler just nodded, brushing her long wavy black hair. I walked up and I sat at our regular table, outside the school.

"Hey guys what's up?" I asked, happy the day was over.

"Oh nothing! Just a waiting for the bus." Izzy said, happily as ever.

"You know people get bullied on buses,more than anywhere else. Especially when they are alone." Skyler said, quietly. "I get picked up by my mom, and Mae walks home, so you go alone."

"Don't worry about it Skyler!" Izzy said, patting Skyler's head. "I'm a tough girl!" Then she flexed her muscles, to prove her point.

"Yep it's true! I once saw Izzy become pen-pals with a postman in the fifty seconds he was at her door.

"In my defense, he was HAWT!" She said, with a sigh.

"Weren't you dating Trent at this point in time?" Skyler asked skeptically.

"Well yes..." Izzy said. "But-"

Izzy was interrupted when a girl I had never seen before came up to us, which was saying something because there was less than a 100 students in the entire high school. She must have been new. She had medium length blonde, almost white, hair. She was pretty, I have to say. She smiled sweetly then asked,"Hey you Dex's sister right?"

"Yep, that's me." I said, even though I hated being called 'Dex's Sister' I mean, learn my name people. Just because we look alike doesn't mean we are each other!

"Where is he?" She asked, innocently.

"You haven't heard? He was in the hospital, due to some kind of savage attack, he's okay, but he still needs to rest. The newspaper went on about it for weeks. Some say it was some kind of 'Cat Monster'..." I stopped there. Hadn't Dex mentioned, he was attacked by a monster? I needed to go home, NOW! I pushed past the girl and ran home. This was urgent. Especially if this is what I thought it was. If I was right then we would all be in serious trouble.