Chapter 13: Lucky Souls & Jabbing Sticks

Mae's POV

A Few Hours Later

I WAS STILL IN THE same wretched little room. I hoped the injection had worn off because I was currently plotting my escape. I don't think it would have mattered though. Nobody was in the room. June had left a hour or two ago and Kayla never reappeared.  So I was extremely bored. 

Then a stupid plan came to mind. What if I just open the door? I thought. There was no possible way that June left it unlocked. I still got up and tried it though. It was unlocked. Seriously? I thought, They must want me to get out.

I ran threw the door, not questioning my good fortune, just using it. That was the way I was taught to think. Don't question, just run. I was running now. I ran threw the twist and turns of the hallway, hoping to find a exit. Or Dex. Preferably both. 

When I finally decided it was pointless I heard a noise. I turned around to see Kayla looking at me, not moving. I wondered if I had ran right past her. I didn't think so, but how else would she have gotten there so quickly. 

"Why hello, Mae. I didn't think I'd get the delight, of seeing you twice in one day. I haven't seen you in at least two years before this." She said, smoothly. Her words were like silk, making most people melt under them. Luckily I wasn't most people.

"Kayla, I don't have time to kick your ass again. So show me the exit so that I can leave, and you don't get hurt." I said. Unlike Kayla's voice mine was hard as a rock. Most of the time people did what I said, but Kayla wasn't most people, unfortunately.

"Please." She said, stretching the word out a bit, "I let you win. I had orders not to hurt you. I don't now. So I'd go back to your room, unless you want to wake up dead tomorrow."Kayla already knew, of course, that I wasn't going to do that, not without a fight at least. 

"Please." I said, mimicking her tone."You're going to be the one waking up dead tomorrow." With those words, as if they were some kind of signal, Kayla shifted. 

She became a monster, a cat monster that is. I drew out my dagger and faced her. She moved first, pouncing on me. Or at least trying to. I dodged with ease. I knew that move all to well. Most cats, opened with it. Kayla was like most cats. 

I stabbed her hind leg with the knife, and she yowled in pain. I smiled slightly as I readied myself for a more deadly blow. Only Kayla was quicker. She swiped a paw at me and scratched my arm, my knife went flying. We both looked at it, Kayla knew that if she could destroy it she would win. If not we were still a semi-fare fight.

I sprinted towards the knife. Kayla desperately pounced on me, but it was too late. I had the knife. I looked at her laying on the floor. She panted for breath. I found my sense of remorse and just knocked her out. I didn't need to kill any more. I wasn't part of the Order.

I started running down the halls now. Who knows when someone would find Kayla's body. I was sprinting now, hoping for a chance to survive. I heard a distant scream, that meant Kayla had been found. I was so busy on escaping and finding Dex, I didn't notice, when we slammed into each other.     

*  *  *

Dex's POV

I was awoken to a jabbing in my side. I looked around, not realizing where I was. I quickly realized I was in the hospital style room, I was in earlier. Only it was different. The walls were covered with scratches, the metal bed things were overturned, the vital machine was destroyed, the place was totally a mess. I also couldn't remember anything after shifting.