Chapter 11 (Weekend)

#########WARNING########
THIS CHAPTER IS BORING!!!
DO NOT READ !!!!

ok I'm kidding :D
Just read at your own risk. ;D

Please Vote, Comment,  and Share if you like it.

Love you all..

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Finally Saturday!

When I woke up at the break of the day, my only day off, I wanted to just open my eyes to find myself ready to go out. I was looking forward to it all week long.

My eyes opened in a blur under the covers. Rolling on my side, I glanced at the digital clock on the bedside table, careful not to wake anyone. 5:09 am. Great!

Maybe too early for a weekender who would normally sleep in, but not me. Not today. I had this nice little plan to hit the park early this time.

Central Park was my good place. My personal haven. The open space, the fresh air, the greenness all around that makes me feel isolated from the outside world even for a short time. Flying away from the dullness of the shelter, the noises of the streets, the perpetual grim colors of the buildings was like hanging out in paradise in the middle of the desert. And occasionally I needed a break from the nastiness of my beloved New York City. I am human after all.

Springtime. My favorite season. The best time of the year to visit my little oasis. The smell of spring in the park was magic. The whole plant life feels new. You almost can watch the healthy verdure breathe and the blossoming trees salute you with colors fit for Christmas decorations. Unfortunately, spring ends in a blink of an eye and I just wanted to make the most of it before it gets too hot to enjoy reading in the open without breaking into sweat, or sparring with the profusion of bugs that dwelled in the foliage.

Scanning the beds next to me , I clutched the edge of the covers, straightening quietly then I exhaled in relief. My roommates were still at work and luckily I was alone. I slipped out of my bed, crawling towards the window to draw the curtains a little, just enough to have a peek outside.

The early lights of the day had this calming effect on me regardless of the gloomy concrete that surrounded the neighborhood. Even the street looked unconventionally empty at this hour save for someone's car honking from a distance. of course I knew for sure that if I so much as opened the shutter the fumes in the air would ruin my good mood but hey! At least I had a room! with a window that blocked unwanted scents. I should be thankful, shouldn't I?

I sneered at myself.

Enough of the cynicism, I want to be a happy Melody today. I really do. Is that too much to ask?!

Purposely, I forced myself to stretch the corners of my lips upward, pushing a forced smile on my face as I gazed through the windowpane.

Something that I'd read somewhere that If you kept smiling, even against your will, and told yourself repeatedly that you were happy then the movement would register in your brain and send real happy vibes to your mind. I really wished I could control my own brain. That would be super cool. I would had passed my SATs and been accepted into college instead of having a panic attack and failing.

A little bit of handy telepathy or telekinesis would be appreciated to complete the freaky picture. Ugh!

Just grin and bear it, Melody.

You have a wonderful life!

You are really happy!

My fingers reached up to hold the key that hung from a chain around my neck as I stepped lamely to open my locker. I went through a thin stack of clean shirts which were only two tops plus the only clean pair of jeans. I had a limited but comfy wardrobe. Getting dressed was easy.

"Yay! I'm so lucky!" I whispered a cheer to myself.

So which one do I wear? The pink button down? Or the striped polo?

I let out a heavy exhale . Obviously I was in desperate need of doing the laundry today after I get back. I shrugged and quickly grabbed the pink and white stripes, along with my baggy jeans. I gathered my few toiletries and headed to check out the showers across the hall. a.k.a the worst experience a person can be subjected to. Ever!

When I'd first came to the shelter I'd been in shock that I had to share the showers with strangers. I faced a tough decision between compromising what little privacy I had or skipping the shower altogether. But seriously, there had been no choice.

Reeking like a wild rat was not an option. Gross! I absolutely couldn't live like that. I had to come up with some tricky solution though. I'd decided to wait every day for the best timing when no one was awake and just zip in, scrub like crazy and zip out. A shower in double time was better than no shower at all.

When I entered the shower room I took my time inspecting the place while brushing my teeth. A file of basins and mirrors in front of me and a line of shower stalls behind me. It was my way of surveillance just to make sure I had the place to myself. After scoping out the territory, I stepped inside the shower booth to undress, hanging my towel carefully on the metal rod above and ran the hot water to soak myself. I didn't have the stomach for funny surprises and the thought of someone seeing me naked was appalling. Like, kill-me-right-now appalling! Most residents here were not in the least bashful or even aware of other's personal space. Or maybe I was just too self-conscious. Besides, I didn't wish to see anyone in that state either so I had to figure it out.

Quickly, I finished the morning rituals and wrapped my large towel around my body. Sneaking out of the shower stall, I snatched my clean clothes that I kept outside of the wet area. Then I scurried back to get dressed inside the stall.

The shower partition only had a thin shower curtain. I had to drape my clothes over the barrier that separated my shower from the next. I started slipping them on, juggling my things in order not to let them fall down and get wet. I peeked through a crack at the edge of the shower curtain, straining my ears to hear any unwelcomed sounds approaching.

This was the daily routine that I had to endure in attempt to adjust to the limbo I would live through for at least the next couple of years. If I was lucky!

As soon as I was dressed , the morning tension lessened quite a bit. My stiff shoulders relaxed and I took a deep breath.

Tomorrow, I'd have to do it all over again.

I gathered my things and went back, across the silent corridor into my room which was still empty. Quickly, I jammed the dirty clothes into the laundry bag and started brushing my hair, splitting it into tiny pigtails behind my ears before I grabbed my handbag that I hid under the mattress and pulled my sneakers from beneath my narrow bed. I sat down on the edge of the bed to put on my shoes.

It was a relief that my roommates were out in their overnight jobs "at the hospital" as Vivian liked to say. I'd rather not overhear the sickening chatter about last night's pro business.

My stomach churned and I shuddered.

**Just then, while I was in the middle of my reflection, I heard footsteps outside the door. My head snapped up, alert.

I froze in my spot until the door opened and a petite figure came in, wearing a black mini dress, black boots and dark makeup smudged all over her childlike face. A beige summer coat draped on her skinny arm. Her fiery hair mussed up and she looked like she was going to faint any minute.

"Hey." Tina said in a monotonous tired voice.

"Hey!" I replied, my muscles tensed as I stared behind her, waiting for the other roommate to show up.

"She's not back yet." Tina said.

"Are you Okay?" I asked

"Never better. " she had a sarcastic tone... And new bruises on her arms and legs.

A lump rose to my throat and my hand sailed to cover my mouth.

"Watch out. Your turn is coming. " Tina said ominously, her face expressionless.

"I beg your pardon?"

My heart jumped in my chest. But she ignored me and opened her locker, stripping and changing into her pajamas and then collapsed on her bed in the middle of the room without another word.