Chapter 24 pt.2 ( The Movies)

"Melody...! Wake up!"

A tender whisper invaded my dreams, pulling me back to consciousness. My eyes snapped open when I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. Akram's face was inches from mine, his warm breath brushing my skin. It seemed like I was having a pleasant dream. I stared at him, perplexed, and narrowed my eyes for better vision. My mouth dried up so I cleared my throat. What's he doing here?

"Sorry. I had to wake you up. The film is ending and I thought... you'd prefer to get up before the lights are on." He pressed his lips together in a barely restrained expression that gave away his amusement and probably his great effort not to laugh at me.

My eyes were still drowsy, I rubbed the sleep off and then my memory recovered all at once. I scrambled to push the Up button on the armrest when Akram moved back.

"Oh God! Did I really fall asleep?" I smoothed my hair hastily with my fingers and straightened my clothes down, adjusting the shawl to cover most of my body.

Oh, snap! I look hideous when I wake up!

"You've been out for about an hour. You must have been tired." His answer was a soft murmur, a bit of concern touching his face again in the shape of a soft wrinkle between his eyebrows. He stood up, holding out his hand to help me to my feet.

I stumbled trying to slip my shoes on (I forgot I even took them off) but Akram gripped my hand before I fall and humiliate myself again, a sympathetic look in his eyes.

The audience were already leaving as the credits appeared so we stepped down the aisle to leave the place, his hand clasping mine. I was still unbalanced and a bit disconcerted of my unexpected behavior.

I fell asleep!! With strangers around me!! And Akram beside me! The zombie apocalypse must be near!

Sleep never came easy to me in my own bed, let alone on a chair in a public place. Also, I was frustrated I didn't know how the film ended. It's always annoying when I didn't finish something I'd started and I desperately wanted to know the end of this one, even though I'd already read the book. What if they changed the ending? What if they messed it up? I just needed to know

" So what happened? How did it end?" I turned to ask Akram, angling my head up to look at his face that had his serene glow back on under the bright lights that shone back in the theatre.

He sighed.

" The boy had cancer and he died. " he pursed his lips in displeasure.

I gasped.

"Was it very gruesome?" I bit my lip in disappointment, recalling the last moments I watched before lethargy took over my head. I was hoping for a new happy ending or something different. Obviously that wasn't the case.

"Oh yeah! God knows, I'm glad you didn't watch that part." He grimaced, scrunching his nose for an instant. He obviously hated it!

I perfectly knew what he meant though. I would had been blubbering non stop until now. But I felt guilty I let him watch it alone. He must had been bored to death.

"But honestly, how interested could you be? You slept in the middle of the movie. I think you were extremely bored." He shook his head, looking at me with a fake frown- this cute jutting bottom-lip thing giving it away.

My eyebrows lifted to the roof. I wanted to laugh but I was still in shock. "No. No, I really liked it. I don't know what happened to me."

We got out into the lobby and then I stopped, shyly turning to face him while a flock of people flowed towards the exit.