chapter 31 (Bad Luck)

Adamant bad luck.

My leg began to shake while Akram was ordering the ice-cream from the waitress; Krissy - my shelter mate and Vivian's hound dog. I wrung my hands, squeezing the soft toy and curled forward to hide my face. I was hoping she didn't notice, but it was hard to tell. I didn't dare to peek or even move. My breath was shallow from the shock and the super speed of my heart.

I shouldn't be surprised because that was me; the queen of the damned. Nothing ever ended well for me because, well, I existed. I used to feel like Cinderella when I'd been with Akram. Time was never enough. The fact is, I was much worse. Ella was so darn lucky compared to me. She had until midnight and she didn't have a cursed past haunting her every waking moment. Not that I didn't deserve it. Maybe I was too hopeful, wondering if I'd ever be granted a chance to compensate for my mistakes, but clearly I was wrong.

Krissy! And she works here of all places? What are the odds?!

Frap! Was she eavesdropping? Is that why she came in right after Akram wanted to order?

Akram's gentle voice brought me back from my trance. "Melody, what's wrong?"

Kriss was gone and, to my embarrassment, I was aware that I'd hunched my back and almost curled into a ball on my seat. I straightened up, drawing a long breath of the scented air into my lungs. I didn't want to panic but I couldn't risk it. I also couldn't risk being humiliated when our server returned.

I gulped. "I... Erm! I'm sorry. I'm not feeling well."

Akram's face was alarmed. He leaned closer, scanning my face. "Are you Okay? Anything I can do? "

"No, thanks. I really have to go."

"Mel, you look sick. Maybe I should take you to the hospital." His brows furrowed.

"No!" I exclaimed and sprung up, frantically collecting my purse and holding Oh - the stuffed alien boov - under my arm. The mention of a hospital made things worse. My hands trembled and I was sure Akram noticed how my face could look as white as bleached wax. "That's how I normally look. My friend says I look like a zombie but I think... I think I'm just homely, so, uh, it's actually just... who I am." I prattled on like a drunk squeaky toy, waving my hand aimlessly.

What the hell am I saying?!

Akram stood up, his face blank. He was probably reconsidering the decision of wanting to know me. I was acting like a bipolar mental case.

"What did I do?" Akram asked. His forehead creased, a worried look in his clear eyes.

"Nothing! You're perfect. I just... have to go now." I shoved my hair behind my ear, my eyes going back and forth. Kriss might return any minute.

I was scared and a bit lightheaded too, so I guess I wasn't lying when I'd told him I wasn't feeling well. There were droplets of sweat forming on my hairline. I had to leave. Now!

Akram dropped a couple of bills on the shiny tray, snatched his backpack and circled around the table to catch up with me while I rushed to get away. I didn't remember the way to the exit. In my thoughtless rush I stubbed my foot and almost tripped over a flower pot before Akram grabbed my arm and prevented my fall.

"This way." Akram anchored his arm around my elbow, leading me to the mosaic archway we'd come from.

"Thanks," I mumbled and my face brushed the top of his arm. His fresh fragrance calmed my nerves for a moment. Akram smelled like a manly blend of citrus and spice. It made me want to give in to his touch and lean my head on him. Of course, I resisted and pushed myself away. This wasn't a good time for whimsical stupidity.