chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.3

Akram caught me flatfooted the moment we were about to enter the next show and I saw the vibrant colors of the movie poster hanging on the wall by the entrance.

It was really a surprise movie!

"We're going to watch cartoons?" I looked up at his amused smirk, my eyes wide.

His responding laugh echoed in the hallway. Or maybe just the hallway to my personal bliss "Come on! Look me in the eye and tell me you don't like cartoons."

Doing exactly as he said, I gawked at his beautiful eyes as hard as I could, making the most of the chance. " I don't like cartoons. I absolutely love them." An easy smile spread all over my face, taking in his handsome features.

"Good girl," he said holding out his hand to me, " now let's watch without snoring this time." He sent me a teasing sideways glance in addition to his lopsided smirk.

I rolled my eyes and walked along.

We got the giggles for the next ninety minutes. Well, I did most of the giggling- actually all of it. I used up my quota of laughter for this year... The clumsy, squishy, goofy purple aliens who invaded planet Earth were too adorable that I couldn't control the chortles and - to my nonexistent mortification- the snorting noises that came out loud sometimes.

The film was light and silly and I totally enjoyed it. The little Boovs were just hilarious! I laughed to the fullest of my lungs for the firs-- . No- the second time in my life. Both times with Akram who laughed with me too... In a more dignified manner. His whole face was beaming all the time and it was anything but creepy! It was... refreshing!

During most of the film, his body was turned to the side, adjusting himself to face my direction- his arms folded casually, legs crossed, shoulder resting on the back of his seat. His gaze traveled between my face and the big screen, candidly watching me this time. His eyes sparkled when I burst into laughter, displaying his gorgeous smile that made him seem more amused by my goofiness than the funny movie on the screen. I didn't mind. I didn't want him to stop.

Every now and then, I stole an occasional glance at him , smiled and turned my face forward but he never changed his posture, his attention invariably centered on me. But no! I wasn't shy this time. I was on cloud nine actually. I was more self-aware in a good way if that made any sense.

For the rest of the movie, my mood transformed. His smile was contagious and I couldn't stop responding to its warm rays that touched my every cell. I'd bet even my face looked like I just had an enhancive plastic surgery that caused the constant curving of my lips.

I got it! I'm happy!... Happy to see him too!

When the credits started scrolling down the screen along with the theme song, I suddenly had this overwhelming heaviness sinking in my heart and pulling my weight down, possibly welding my butt to my seat. It was hard to get up and leave just like that! I wasn't prepared to leave. Ok! I knew I needed to leave but I didn't want to.

Leaving means I'll have to go back to my metaphorical evil stepmother! To kiss this dream goodbye and just wake up on the soot-covered floor by the fireplace... Akram will be gone for who knows how long!... I won't see his greeting smile every day... I won't make his favorite cappuccino and watch him sipping it leisurely from my secret peeping hole ... I won't hear his musical voice or glimpse his cinnamon eyes... what if he found a more interesting friend back at home!...

What if he forgot me ?!!

The thought almost suffocated me. My head dropped to look at my fingers, which were busy smothering each other on my lap.