Chapter 29 (Need For A change)

Special thanks to my lovely friends @_Imperfect_Writing and @AuroraBorealis9 for the amazing covers they made for Melody.

Shout out for my lovely new readers @TurquoiseSakura @martaxSofia
-NeverEverGiveUp-
I_noticed32

Thank you all for the amazing support for Melody. Love you all too much ♥♥

Enjoy.

★★★★★★★★★★

Ms. Johnson gave me a second warning, I was now an hour late for work and my birthday presents vanished into thin air.

I reported the lost sack to the security, but I knew it was a futile attempt any way. What's lost in the shelter is never to be found. It was my fault not to leave it with the security earlier before the succubus attacked me.

As if it wasn't enough that Tina lost her life on my reputed birthday, I also got a step closer to being dumped in the streets.

What a happy, happy birthday!

I rested my head on the back of an uncomfortable seat in the subway, my whole world wavering along with the monotonous motion of the train. I had to take the train for the first time to work because of the unexpected tardiness this morning. I wondered what would Mrs. Charan say to me for coming to work so late. I was lucky that Asha didn't have school today or it would've been a disaster.

My mind traveled back in time, recalling what had just happened. I was such an idiot to lose my temper like that. I never hit people before. I barely had the guts to defend myself in front of Ms. Johnson.

What was I thinking? Clearly, I wasn't.

Ms. Johnson's words repeated in my head.

"Melody Summer, I'm very disappointed. I'm afraid you cannot stay with us if you continue to act this way. This is the last warning, but the next time you misbehave, we'll have to discharge you of the program. "

Vivian, playing the innocent lamb, was sobbing on a chair in front of the director's desk, while I was the guilty wolf who apparently wanted to eat her alive. I'd wanted to slap her again, to make her stop faking those tears, but I knew better than to move and inch. I was in a precarious situation as it is and I had to control my stupid impulses until I find a way out of there.

Vivian wouldn't leave me alone, I knew it, even if she was lying about slandering me. The idea of her bringing Akram's name into this rotten mess, for him to know the gory details of my worthless daily life, it was far worse than being in jail for a crime I didn't commit. I couldn't bear the thought of him hating me for being such a fraud. God! I miss him badly!

A shiver ran through my body.

I crossed my arms tightly over my chest when I recalled Vivian hissing as we'd exited the office.

"Watch your back. I'll make sure the third time is a charm." She leaned in and whispered in my ear.

"Why?" I jerked my head to face her, teeth and fists clenched. I was more angry at myself for being so foolish.

"Because, when you lose everything, I'll be your only choice. You'll know how much you need me, hon."

She'd left me reeling in the hallway and trotted upstairs like a graceful dancer, all the theatricals in the office long gone.

Right outside the shelter, I was about to pull my phone to text Asha when it buzzed in my pocket. I flipped it open and glanced at the caller ID ' Ash The Panache!'. Asha's grinning selfie welcomed me with her familiar dimples and her playful cross-eyed pose. The same way it had since she'd entered her own contact information into my phone.