Chapter 15 (Akram)

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

I think I'm going to black out!!

I stayed frozen in the same grassy spot, curled forward in a fetal-like position. It seemed to me that I would never be able to move up. I held my airtight chest, folding my arms over my torso. My whole body was in convulsive mode, vibrating like a washing machine. I couldn't control the tremors or the suffocation that came with a wave of unstoppable tears.

This is insane! I need to disappear right now! Or just die and get it over with.

"Breathe..."

A melodious male voice suggested quietly and soothingly. It made me want to make an effort to turn my face up to see who was speaking. My eyes glimpsed the royal blue shirt that sheathed a shapely masculine chest before they met his eyes.

Teary-eyed, and confused I gazed at the deep warm orbs, still sobbing and fighting to catch my breath. He looked beautiful from this close but I couldn't focus on any details whatsoever. The world seemed to fade around the edges and dark spots danced in the air.

"You need to breathe, Miss," he said " I think you're having a panic attack. Pull your back straight and breathe. deep and slow." His tuneful words took a minute to register. I tried to straighten up, pushing myself to inhale deeper. Apparently,  I forgot how to use my lungs.

He was on his knees at an arm's length, directly facing me with a concerned expression, his forehead creased, his hands on his knees. For a second, he looked up stroking his forehead before he suddenly asked.

" Do you like ice cream?"

What?!!!

What kind of a question is that? It didn't make any sense!

My jaw fell open a bit while I glared at him. It was hard to believe that Superman, the awesome guy we'd been fantasizing about was actually a nutcase.

"Please. It's  important. Let me try... Barbie dolls? Cotton candy? Rainbows? Unicorns?" He scratched his eyebrow thoughtfully " Girls like chocolate too, right? " His expression was serious, as if his life depended on the answer.

As weird as it sounded, in the midst of all the tears and sobs, it almost made me smile to picture the things he mentioned.

"What... are you saying?" my once extinguished voice finally came out. Small, a little ragged and breezy but I gradually started to return to reality.

His long-lashed eyes crinkled up at the corners . " I'm sorry. I had to think of something..."

"What... do you mean? " Still staring unwittingly, I asked in frustration, gulping down a sob.

"I was... trying to distract you from a panic attack. I guess it worked, didn't it? " his grin kissed his eyes as he explained his good intention.

To my surprise, I just realized that my breathing began to stabilize and the ache in my chest subsided. I was still worn down and my limbs were shaky but I definitely was better than a few minutes ago. I let my arms loosen down on my thighs and inhaled again.

"May I help you up?" He stretched his arm, offering me his extended hand.

I wasn't sure if I could trust my legs to hold my body up just yet. But as I deliberated his offer, and the way he'd bothered to come down here to help, I eventually gave in, cautiously acknowledging his gesture.

He got up as slow as I did, grappling my hand in his. My hands must have been freezing because his hand was so warm. My other hand latched on his wrist, clinging to his slender but strong forearm. He kept his elbow suspended for me to sustain my weight, giving me a comfortable personal space as I hung onto him.