Chapter 38 (Coming Clean) pt.2

“Stay where?” I whispered.

Akram's words didn't register in my brain completely. There must have been a misunderstanding.

“Stay here.”

“What?” I screeched “No! I can't do that!”

Akram grazed the skin between his brows, glancing at my skeptical stare. “But you're​ still tired and maybe…”

“I'm not tired. I really need to go!” I waved my arms in frustration.

Akram's throat moved.  “Please, don't leave.”

“You're not listening! I have to!”

“And go where?” His face crumpled into a pained expression.

His question hit me like a punch in the guts. The few non-options swirled around in my mind. The only logical option was another homeless shelter, or struggling with the DSS for days, or weeks, or months, to find me a place to live and a job.

“S-Somewhere,” I murmured, throwing my arms up. “But I can't stay.”

“Why? What have I done?” His mouth turned downward.

“You don't understand. This is wrong. I can't just...” I squeezed my eyes and shook my head. A morbidly selfish part of me didn't reject the idea. A part that needed to be strangled and buried deep into oblivion.

“Is it so hard to trust me?” Akram's​ face showed a snippet of hurt. “Have I ever been disrespectful, or…”

“Oh, no! That's not it! It's too easy to trust you,” I interrupted without thinking. “It's not you, it's me.”

He squinted, giving me an incredulous look.

“Akram, you can't​ just keep me here. God, this is so crazy!” I pressed my throbbing head with my hands.

He chuckled lightly. “I've heard that one before.”

“Heard what?”

“That I'm crazy.”

I blinked. My arms dropped to my sides. “People call you crazy?”

“Just my parents.” The side of his mouth curved slightly.

I tilted my head in confusion. I didn't know what to say, or what he was trying to say.

Is he trying ​to distract me again?

Akram held his hands up. “Alright, just hear me out, okay?”

I sighed and folded my arms.

”I know this sounds weird for you… to have a guy ask you this. I know it's​ not…” He sighed, looking at the ceiling and running a hand through his hair.

“It's not normal.” I finished his sentence.

“Not normal for me - a guy living alone - to want… I mean, to ask a girl to stay with him.” Akram seemed to be struggling for the right words.

“Then why?” I asked, shifting my legs impatiently.

“Believe me, it's not what you think… you may, well, um…” Akram paused, looked down, and stroked his forehead. “Wonder about my motives, but I promise I would never…”

“Wait!” My eyes opened wide. “You think I'm worried you'll take advantage of me?”

The idea never crossed my mind. It sounded too ludicrous. Akram was so much more than that. He was my hero. His kindness easily erased any kind of doubt, especially after last night. He just didn't understand he wasn't the problem. I was the bad news.