Chapter 36 (Distraction)

The wonderful song is suggested by SophieQH... Thank you so much, dear Sophie!! I fell in love with it! And it fits perfectly in the story...

***

“You sure can cook,” I said, my lips twitching into a smile. “You're right, it's addictive.”

Mixing cereal was really worth it. I'd finished the whole bowl before Akram finished his. Apparently, I'd been starving, but Akram knew exactly what I needed. The perfect combination of sugar, chocolate and cinnamon helped the knot in my stomach to untangle a little.

“Wait till you try my tuna melt sandwiches.” Akram winked. “Have seconds?” He grabbed the cereal boxes and attempted to serve up more into my empty bowl.

I spread my hand over the bowl. “Oh, no. My poor tummy can't handle more.”

“Are you sure? Everyone needs to indulge themselves from time to time.”

“Indulgence is not for me.”

Akram's forehead puckered. He shook his head, exaggerating a pout. “I should've brought ice-cream.”

I bit back a smile. “That could've worked.”

“Hmm! More OJ, then?”

“I'm full to the rim.” I joked

Akram chuckled and got up, swiftly removing the bowls and glasses. I sprang up to help him empty the kitchen table.

We piled the dishes in the sink, and I automatically turned on the water faucet to rinse them, when Akram stopped me with a gentle touch on the back of my hand.

“Just leave everything,” Akram said and turned off the water.

“Sorry.” I shut my eyes and blushed. I froze for a second before I turned around and leaned my back on the kitchen sink. It was a knee-jerk reaction that came out of nowhere, but I knew I had no right to do that in his place. What was I thinking?

Stealing a furtive glance at Akram's face, he stood casually, but there was a visible change in his expression. As if he was deep in thought. He tilted his head and motioned to the table. “Please?”

I bit my lip and walked back to sit on my chair. I didn't mean to overstep my limits, but that couldn't be the reason for the change. The solemn crease of his eyebrows made my insides squirm.

Akram sat across from me. He stared at his interlocked fingers on the marble table. There was no trace of the former humor. His eyebrows were pulled together into a tight knot.

“Mel.” Akram swallowed, bracing his hands tighter. “How are you?”

Biting the tip of my thumb, my stomach matched the clench of his hands.  “Okay! You?”

Oh no! Akram, don't go there. Please, don't go there!

He cleared his throat. “I’m Ok if you are.”

My heartbeat screamed: Red alert! Red alert!

Arms coiled around my body, a shiver ran through my back. “W-what is it ?”

Akram disengaged his hands and pinched the bridge of his nose. He stayed silent for an excruciating moment, and I began to shake internally.

"I'm really sorry, Melody.” He lifted his eyes to mine, tight lines forming on his forehead.

I blinked, my body tensed up.

Why is he sorry? Is it for bringing me here? God, I should've left when he was praying!