Chapter 47 (Conclusion)

I was a bundle of nerves when Akram and I walked out of the bedroom, my hand sheltered in his.

We stepped into a spacious, modernly decorated foyer, and I realized we were in the ground floor of the house. A gigantic U-shaped sofa centered the area - velvety beige sprinkled with green, plant-patterned cushions. The sofa surrounded an elegant oriental carpet that spread out under an oblong coffee table. Perfect sitting area for a big, functional, loving family.

At the far side of the foyer, next to a staircase, sat an upright piano, matching the color of the hardwood floor.

Sunlight filtered through the numerous, tall windows adorning the walls. A delicious cinnamony scent enveloped the beautiful home with a sense of familiarity. Warm and authentic. Just like the lady of the house and her incredible son.

Sophie sat on the sofa, Jannah nestled on her lap holding an iPad in her little hands, and Laila was seated next to a guy, whose face was unclear from my standpoint. I assumed he was Akmal.

My shoulders hunched up automatically, my free arm coiling itself around my torso as Akram and I toddled forward. Everyone here - except for Akram - was a stranger to me. My anxiety began to emerge, twisting my insides in knots. I had no idea what I was doing here right now. I felt out of place. An intruder. And I most definitely was the only eyesore in this blissful haven. They were not the strangers... I was.

As we reached the gathering, Sophie got up, snuggling Jannah against her side, and swept a hand over my stiff shoulder. "Sweetie, I'm going to be in the kitchen. Tell Akram if you need me for any reason, ok?"

I nodded, managing a grateful half-smile.

"Boys," She turned to face Akmal and Akram, raising a warning finger. "Behave."

The supposed-to-be Akmal replied with a deep chuckle and an elegant bow of his head. His charisma was evident, no doubt, even with the intimidating aura surrounding him. The pitch black eyes, the short beard, and the impeccably tailored grey suit gave him a formidable quality. He could pass as a ruthless young CEO, or one of those professional bodyguards who hover around celebrities.

"Yes, ma'am." Akram bowed too, sending his mother a fond smile and stooped to kiss the top of her head. Sophie chuckled softly, cupped his chin in her hand, then she walked away, her arm looped firmly around Jannah.

My eyes stung for such a pitiful reason. Their mother-son relationship was so sweet. So unobtainable that it made me want to cry a little.

Averting my eyes from the perfect image, I caught a glimpse of Laila, exchanging an intent glance with Akmal. He shifted his weight - lots of robust weight there - curling an arm around her back, his observant gaze roaming between Akram and I.

I tried not to make eye contact.

Laila inched closer and held my shoulders gently, giving me two air kisses on the cheeks. "Glad you're okay, Melody."

"Thanks," I mumbled, a flush of embarrassing memories rushing back to me. "I, uh, I'm so sorry for what I said in the car... I- I wasn't... I mean, I didn't..."

"Don't worry." Laila stroked my arm lightly, her eyes sympathetic. "I should apologize too, you know, about the shelter. Please understand that I couldn't blow my cover. I was just doing my job." She clasped her hands together apologetically.

I stared at her shiny wrist-watch that had looked like an oddity back in the shelter. Now it just fell into place. She hadn't really belonged to my world. Just as I didn't belong in hers.

"I understand." I nodded, even though I felt a stab in my dignity at the reminder of my 'former residence'. It wasn't something anyone would be proud of. Especially not after I'd flipped my lid and attacked her and Vivian.