Chapter 43 (Phone Call)

<< Omg! Melo! A cop just called auntie and said the cafe has been vandalized! What's going on???>>

My blood ran cold and my eyes froze on the screen. No! This is not happening! It can't be happening! Why? Why now?

The kitchen faucet stopped running and Akram's footsteps followed. I couldn't even turn my face up to look at him.

“Mel, are you okay?” Akram asked.

I knew I should answer him, but I couldn't get myself to function right now. The kitchen walls were spinning .

His footsteps tapped closer. “What is it? Is Asha all right?”

It took some effort to push my face up, raise a trembling hand and give the phone to him. He gently took it from me and checked the screen. His eyebrows furrowed.

Immediately, he pulled his own cellphone, flicked the screen and placed it over his ear. His frown deepened as he waited for a moment in silence and then repeated the process.

My brain hurt as I tried to make sense of the news. Who would do this at this particular time except…! Well, It wasn't hard to guess, because only one name flashed into my mind. A name I'd forced into Asha's and Akram's lives by association.

“Hello, Asha. What is…?” Akram began to speak on the phone then he paused “All right! All right! ”

He squatted next to me and brushed my hand. “She wants me to turn on the speaker, okay?”

I nodded. There was no chance for me to form a coherent sentence right now.

Akram placed his phone on the table and took the chair opposite me.

“Hey, Melo, hear this!” Asha chimed from the phone speaker in lightning speed. “The officer said someone broke into the café this morning and trashed the security camera records. We still don't know how big the damage is, but he asked auntie if she had enemies or if she suspected anyone... Omygosh, Melo! You know what came to me when I heard him? That tramp who mugged Akram! I swear, she has something to do with this! I remember her face when I told her she was recorded. I'm telling you, this is her dirty work! That's why I told the police all about what she did. You have to report this too, and Akram! Dude! You've got to do something! You can't just let her get away with this!”

“I filed a report today.” Akram leaned over the table. “Is there anything else I can do?”

“Just let me finish!” Asha's thin voice exploded with fervency. “Melo, I need you to do something for me. It will help us catch this floozy. What's her name? You said she's your roommate, right?”

I buried my face in my hands.

I should've known this would happen! Now it's too late... Mrs. Charan, this nice lady, trusted me to work for her and that's how I repay her… My best friend’s family lost their business because of me. Akram almost got killed because of me. I couldn't have done it any better if I intentionally wanted to ruin their lives!

"Melo, are you listening? Is she still your roommate"

I swallowed my bitterness. “Was."

"Wait! You're staying with Akram, aren't you?" she asked.

“Yes.”

Asha became silent for a moment.

“Is it time to tell me what happened?"

I glanced up at Akram for some courage. He gave me a warming smile.

"I...I got kicked out of… a homeless shelter.” I gulped. “I had no place to go."