Chapter 21- Like Father, Like Mother

Hailey. Come to me. Hailey. Please.

My eyes flashed open to dimmed lighting. Water and a mixture of herbs were next to me. I kept my bright green eyes narrowed as I sat up slowly and carefully. Though Jason wasn't in the room, something felt off.

"Hailey!" Jason held a bowl in his hands as he walked up the stairs.

"Where is she?" I demanded.

"W-Who?" Jason was taken aback.

"My mother, Ivana," I growled.

Jason narrowed his gaze suddenly as I stood up. He jumped back in defense.

Don't waste your time. Come.

"I need to go," I brushed past Jason and went for the stairs.

"You won't make it," Jason's words stopped me. "She's already been stabbed, Hailey."

"Who?" I crossed the room in an instant and held Jason up against the wall with my hand.

Jason said nothing, making me throw him down. I moved away and began down the stairs. Illusion whinnied from outside, but I ignored him, my focus on Ivana only.

"Hailey, don't go! You must resist the urge!" Jason yelled out weakly.

I opened the door and shot out into the sun-setting light. My cares were only about my mother, yet I didn't know why.

"Hailey!" Jason's last shout was barely heard.

~~~

My feet guided me along up the hill to the small group of buildings where I'd once spoken to the Ghosts. Ivana was nearby; my heartbeat had become quicker.

"Mother?" I called out.

A moan answered and I sprinted to a side of one of the buildings. Ivana rested up against the side of it, holding the knife sticking out from her heart. I allowed my jaw to drop and I slid down next to her.

"Oh no, no," I pressed my hand to her wound and she let out a whimper. "I have to get this out."

"No," Ivana breathed weakly. "It'll kill me instantly."

"How can I help then?" I demanded, my mouth still open from breathing so heavily.

"You can't," Ivana gazed past me and I turned to look over my shoulder.

Rain dripped from his brown hair, defining his bright green gaze that held pain inside it. He wore a black t-shirt with black pants and boots, drenched with sweat and water. I wanted to lunge at him, but I knew he was here for the same reason: our mother.

"Alec," Ivana reached out. "How could you do this?"

Alec stayed where he was, moving his gaze between us. I clutched onto Ivana's hand, bloody from her wound.

"Did you do this to her?" I asked him bravely.

Alec opened his mouth to speak, stepping forwards just slightly. Ivana stopped him with a loud gasp and cough.

"Mom?" I squeezed her shoulder.

"Do what you're," Ivana gasped again, "destined to."

I felt a single tear run down my face for the first time in a long time. Alec's tears reached me too, making me cry harder. I squeezed Ivana tighter.

"I will."

"I love you," Ivana said for the first time in....ever. "I'm proud."

"Mom? Mom! No!" I cried out, feeling her hand fall limp. "Mom!"

"It's no use, Hailey," Alec whispered.

"No use?" I stood up to face him and yell. "She's dead because of you!"

Alec let me push him backwards. I screamed into the air, loud enough someone faraway could hear. When Alec's arms wrapped around me in defense, I shrugged him off.

"Stay away from me!" I cried out.

"Hailey-"

"No!" I faced him. "You killed her. You deserve what you do!"

I raised my hand to hit him with a power-filled blow that easily would kill. Alec stopped me, grabbing my fist and twisting it with ease. I opened my mouth in pain and let out an excruciating moan.

"I th-thought you were weak," I let out.

"You thought wrong," Alec growled, throwing me off to the side harshly.

"I would leave," I stood up, wiping my mouth. "Before anyone else gets hurt."

"Like you," Alec taunted.

"No," I pulled out a knife and held it at the ready. "You."

Alec backed away from the Sephtis knife, his gaze widening. Within seconds, he disappeared from my senses. I dropped the knife with a wail and hit the ground with my knees. Tears flowed heavily from my eyes.

"What am I to do?"

Kill them.

"Ivana?" I questioned.

When there wasn't a reply, I knew she had been in my head. I let out a sigh and glanced to Ivana's lifeless body. I would bury her without a question.

"I'll do it," I whispered, standing.

Walking to the edge of the ledge by the building across from me, I narrowed my gaze. My enemies were hiding. It was time they come out.

"I will be like the both of you," I faced Ivana again. "I will kill the Ghosts."

Good. Good.

Two whispers made me notice two ghosts in the distance. Rorke and Ivana were hugging. I tilted my head with a slight smile. At least they were together.

"Every last one."