{Seventeen}

She was everything real in a world of make-believe.
  -Atticus.

-Luke-

I couldn't say I was happy to see the clear judgement on the cop's face. If anything it made me want to just walk off and leave him there with his unanswered questions, but I knew that I couldn't. All of this is to help Maggie.

"Okay, and the harassment. Is it coming from everyone from the school or a certain group or person?" I leaned against the wall and clenched my jaw. "From what I've seen, it's the whole school. The names, the comments. They even made this website."

"Is the website still running?" He asked. I shook my head. "No sir. I had a friend take it down." The cop gave me a suspicious look at that but nonetheless continued. "Has her cousin threatened Maggie in person before?"

  My anger began to boil as I thought of the possibility. "I haven't seen her threat Maggie, but probably while I wasn't with her. I don't know."

  "What's the name of her cousin?"

  "Saskia Noonan."

  "Who's side of Maggie's parents is she from?" I squinted my eyes as I thought. "Her mother's." The Officer nodded before closing the notepad he had. "I have more questions but those could be saved for later. Right now I need to speak with Mrs. Brown. Meanwhile we need to confiscate the message that was sent to your phone to see if we can track the number down." I nodded my head and gave my phone to him before walking back in the room. Mrs. Brown left to answer questions while Sarah sat by her dad, who was now holding Graham. I took my seat by Maggie's bed and buried my face in my hands. What happens now? Is it gonna take longer for Maggie to wake up since this happened? I honestly hope not. Out of all of us Graham is the one who needs her the most.
*********

Four hours. Its been four hours and the sun is starting to go down, but the cops haven't done much. They're just asking questions all around even after we've told them Saskia is the one behind this. There's no one else who would do it.

  "Are you dating my daughter?" I snapped my head up and looked at Mr. Brown. "Uh, no sir. I'm not." He adjusted Graham in his arms and cleared his throat. "Well, with all the times I hear your name in a conversation between Sarah and Maggie one would think so." Maggie talks about me? I resisted the urge to smile like a little school girl and sat up s bit straighter. "I wasn't aware she spoke about me." Mr. Brown nodded his head matter of factly. "They think I don't hear them. I guess they forgot that my study room is right beside Maggie's." I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at Maggie.

"Why do you seem so surprised." I turned my attention back to Mr. Brown and gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. It's just sort of hard to believe that Maggie talks about me sir."

"Why is that?" I shrugged slowly and stuffed my hands in my pocket. "She doesn't really let me in much. We talk sometimes, but she always seems hesitant around me. I want to know why." Mr. Brown looked at Maggie and sighed. "She's probably terrified." I raked my hand through my hair and clenched my jaw. "Of me?" I asked. Am I a monster or something in Maggie's eyes? Mr. Brown shook his head.

"No. she's afraid that eventually you'll leave her side, just like I did. She doesn't want to lose anyone else so she thinks that keeping people away will avoid risking it. I made the mistake of leaving her, and it was one of the worst things I've done as a father. Can you promise me something?" I nodded my head.

"I want you to promise not to leave her side. Make sure she's always smiling and laughing again. I need you to bring Maggie back." I frowned and shook my head. "I can't do that. Bring her back, I mean."

"Why not?" I pointed at Graham. "Because he's the one doing that. Maggie still has happiness. She just doesn't know it yet. Graham is the one holding it for her until she finds it."

There was a knock on the door and I turned to face one of the police officers. "We may have found who did it. Could you please come with us and see if you could identify them." I raised my eyebrows. "I'm sorry, them?" Officer Gronkowski nodded his head. "Please come with me." I stood up from my chair and followed him all the way to his car. "We'll have to drive to the police department just a few minutes away from here so you can look at them. Wouldn't be such a good idea if we brought them over here after what happened." I nodded my head and got in his vehicle before we headed off.
*************

"Alright, before we go into the room I'm going to ask you to do a few things. Number one is stay calm. Two, you need to look closely at both of these people and think before you give us your positive response, and three, well, just stay calm." I nodded my head and walked through the door when Officer Gronkowski granted me entrance.

The room was dark and one wall was a complete two way mirror. There were only two people, a girl and a boy. I didn't recognize the girl, but when I took one look at the guy I forgot about the first and last rules Officer Gronkowski told me about. I clenched my jaw and started walking to the door at the side before opening it and charging toward him. "You really have some nerve." I threw a punch at him, my fist connecting with his jaw.

"Luke, I swear it wasn't-" I punched him again, knocking him to the ground before two men started pulling me away from Parker Vasquez.
************