{Twenty-two}

Song is Never Stop by SafetySuit

There are better things ahead than any we leave behind
  -C.S. Lewis.

  -Maggie-

  As Luke and I walked into the building where the dinner part took place we were given some sparkling cider. As I took in the room I couldn't help but gasp at how it was decorated. Surrounding the room there were circled tables, (Same decoration as the pic just different table) a dark gray table cloth laying above each one and a wine red cloth running across in the middle. On the center of each table there was a bouquet of red flowers and mini candles that have already been lit. The light in the room was dimmed down, giving more attention to the beautiful decorations. In the center of the room was the dance floor, and right by the stage was the music booth. Whoever decorated the place did a fantastic job.

  There were already a fair amount of people in the large room, some being here for awhile and others just arriving. All the men were wearing a tux and women were wearing gowns. A hand on my waist made me break my contact from the room as I looked at Luke. He was staring at something to my far right and there was a frown on his face as he pulled me closer to his side. Confused by his sudden mood I followed his trail of sight only to see two guys who were eyeing me. One winked while the other smirked, holding up his glass to me before taking a sip. I blushed and turned to Luke again, who was now fuming, letting me know he saw that.

"Luke?" He looked at me and raised an eyebrow, gesturing for me to continue. "Let's go find your parents, yeah?" He nodded, sending me a smile and I let out a sigh of relief as he started to lead the way opposite from those two guys.

"You look absolutely gorgeous Mags. I'm gonna have to stay by your side all night to keep other guys away." I chuckled and shook my head. "I can manage." I replied. He scoffed and nodded his head. "I know, but these guys can't." Before I could say anything else we reached his a parents, who were currently speaking to a man. "Mom, dad. You've met Maggie." Luke greeted as they turned to us. Hannah beamed at me and extended her arms for a hug. I returned it and smiled at her as we pulled away.

"It's nice to see you again Maggie. You look stunning!" She exclaimed as she took in my appearance. I laughed at her cheery mood, instantly feeling comfortable. "Thank you. You look amazing as well. I love your dress." She was wearing a peach colored gown that loosely flowed down to her ankles, showing off her heels. Her make up was done lightly, accentuating her natural beauty, topping it off with diamond studs and a beautiful necklace to match.

  "How've you been honey? I heard about the whole hospital stuff. Must've been tough, huh?" I let out a breathy laugh and nodded. "Definitely. I've been doing good overall though, thanks for asking. What about you? This must be a big night for you and your husband." She chuckled and shook her head. "Well we've been through enough of these to get used to it but yes, it is a big night. I've been great."

  "Maggie, you look lovely. It's a pleasure seeing you again." I turned to Thomas and smiled at him, about to shake his hand only to go through that awkward moment when you go for a handshake and the other person goes for a hug. I let out an awkward laugh at my weirdness and accepted his hug, silently scowling myself for being weird as we pulled away. "This is Hugh McAllen, my boss." Thomas gestured at the man standing by him, who extended his hand for a handshake just as I opened my arms for a hug. Are you serious Maggie?! I quickly shook his hand, secretly glaring at Luke when I heard him chuckle softly. As I took a sip from my drink he began to speak. "It's nice to meet you Mr. McAllen." I greeted. The man who looked to be in his mid fifties smiled with a nod. "Please, call me Hugh. We're all on a first name basis here. It's nice to meet you Maggie. Lucas, you have a lovely girlfriend here." Hearing this I gasped, resulting in me choking on my drink and having a coughing fit.