{Nineteen}

I don't want to be vulnerable and I swore I would never be. But then you noticed me.
  -H.S

  -Maggie-

  When I opened my eyes, tears instantly filled them. They weren't sad or angry though, they were happy tears. The room was empty as I looked around. My throat was scratchy, and I was in desperate need of water, so I reached over and clicked the nurse button.

  As I waited I noticed the flowers on the desk by me and the decorations around the room. It was beautiful and I couldn't help but smile. Sarah's so thoughtful.

  "You're awake!" My eyes snapped to the door as a nurse walked in. Her face was filled of shock and relief. I nodded my head and smiled a bit wider. "Water." My voice came out rough and barely a whisper. The nurse instantly moved to the sink and filled a small cup with water before handing it to me. I drank it all in three gulps and sighed. "How long have I been here?" I asked the nurse. I had lost count of days after awhile, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious.

  "Three days." She kept her responses short while she checked my heartbeat and other stuff. "Give me a second honey, I need to get Dr. Henceforth." I nodded my head and leaned back against the pillows. Surprisingly, I found my phone on the desk too and I picked it up, dialing the first number that cam to mind.

  After a few rings he picked up.

  "Sarah, are you using Maggie's phone?"

I smiled once again. "Dad, it's me." It was silent on the other end of the line and for a second I thought he hung up, but then I heard him make a sharp intake of breath.
"Maggie. I- I'm so sorry. I don't hate you. If anything I hate myself and-" tears found their way back to my eyes as I cut him off.

"Dad, stop. It's alright. Just come over here so I can see you already." I wiped away the tears that fell and sighed. "I'll be there as fast as I can. I need to call your mother and your sister to tell them."

"I'll be waiting. I love you dad." I heard the shuffling in the end stop and I don't know if it was just me but I heard a sniffle. "I love you too Maggie."
————

It took awhile for my dad to arrive, but when he did, Graham was with him and I was happy to see both of them. It was quiet at first as my dad stood at the door watching me. I smiled and decided to break the silence. "You have no idea what a relief it is to have my eyes open right now." He let out a single note laugh and walked up to me, placing Graham slowly by me before engulfing me in a hug.

"I'm sorry." And here come the tears. I wrapped my arms around him as tight as I could. "It isn't your fault. I swear it's all just a misunderstanding, but please don't blame this on yourself."

We pulled away and my dad brought one of the chairs over so he could sit down close to me. "Maggie, I want you to know that I was never mad at you. At first I thought I was but then I realized I was mad at myself. I didn't support you when you told us about Graham and I should've. You didn't wait to tell us, you did it as soon as you found out and doing that must've been a really hard moment for you. I lashed out instead of comforting you and I'm terribly sorry. I kept telling myself that I would but every time I looked at you I thought about how I failed you and I pushed you away. I love you no matter what and you and Sarah will always be my girls."

I was full out crying by now and I tried wiping away as much tears as possible. "If anything I was the one who failed you dad." He shook his head and grabbed my hand. "No, you didn't. You've been taking full responsibility of Graham and I couldn't be more proud. So what? You made a decision among time ago, but you still kept walking with your head held high. I love you Maggie. I haven't been showing it but I do."

"I love you too."

Right then and now I knew everything would be okay soon, and that's when I decided to tell my dad the truth about Graham's dad. But then Dr. Henceforth walked in and started to speak.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need to ask Maggie a few questions." My dad nodded and he kissed my forehead before leaving, letting me stay with Graham. Dr. Henceforth sat down and got straight to business.

"Maggie, from what I've heard you're an honest girl, and hopefully it's true." I nodded my head slowly and wrapped my arms around Graham's waist. "I'll answer all your questions with the truth." He sighed and began with the first.

"First question is what exactly happened two nights ago."
————

The questioning took awhile, but Dr. Henceforth had decided not to put me on suicidal watch. I still had to stay for a few more days though so they could monitor my condition. My body was still weak and it had to be fully active. His words not mine. I started playing with Graham once he left, telling me that he was going to send everyone in soon. "Maggie!" I looked up to see Sarah and Luke walking in the room. As Sarah started speaking sixty miles per minute I kept my eyes on Luke. He was staring right back at me and I smiled. "Sarah could you give us a minute?"

She stopped speaking and started to grumble before stepping outside. Luke slowly walked to the chair my dad was sitting on earlier and smiled. "Sleeping Beauty is finally awake." He said. I laughed and shrugged.

"So, while you were asleep many things happened. I don't know if you were able to hear everything but-"

"I heard a lot of things actually." I stated. He looked up and I could see his cheeks tint red. "Oh." I nodded and it went silent, but it was comfortable.

"I never really got to say thank you." I said. Liked furrowed his eyebrows in confusion so I continued. "For not judging me like everyone else did when you met me. And I'm sorry for not showing any gratitude those times you defended me. It meant a lot." He smiled and shook his head. "You don't deserve to be judged. You're just a girl with a story worth reading." Cue the blush....

"So, this whole incident. It wasn't intentional, was it?" He asked. I shook my head immediately. "No, never would I do that. I just fell asleep at the wrong time." I looked down at Graham and brushed his hair back, smiling as he gave me a 'WHY in the world are you touching my hair' look. Sassy baby. He definitely gets it from Sarah.

"Uh, I know this is sudden and it's okay if you say no, but my parents are attending this party and they wanted me to come along with someone else..." I widened my eyes and slowly nodded. "Sure, I'd be happy too."

Luke himself looked surprised that I said yes but nonetheless smiled. He let out a sigh and laughed. "You have no idea how dull things were while you were asleep." He started to fill me in on everything that's been happening lately, and I could see that one question in his eyes, so I decided to answer.

"Even though what they did was messed up on so many different levels, I couldn't press charges. I couldn't let them go through what I did, you know? If they were to get arrested they could also lack the support from their parents and going through that sucks. I don't care what type of person someone is, they should never go through something alone." Luke nodded slowly and rested his elbows on the bed.

"You are definitely something else Maggie. Don't you ever change that." He stood up and stretched, nudging my shoulder after. "I'm gonna let Sarah come in now before she has my head. She's been anxious to see you." I laughed and nodded my head.

"I'll see you later then." He nodded and walked out, and before the door even got to close again Sarah walked in with a smile. "I'm suddenly not mad at you anymore for kicking me out. I want details now." I laughed as she sat down and began telling her everything, all the while my heart was beating many miles per second.
—————

Finally finished editing, I'm surprised since I'm a big time procrastinator......

Leave a comment about your thoughts and please don't forget to leave a vote.