{Twenty-seven}

New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings
   -Lao Tzu.

  -Luke-

Angry? Yes, I was angry. Half of me was angry at Maggie for not opening up, and the other half was angry at myself for not helping her sooner. It's like I'm going around and around in the same circle.

I pulled up in front of her house, repeating the same words mum told me before so left. No matter what don't yell at her. With a sigh I walked up to the front door and pressed on the doorbell. Eventually the door was opened by Mrs. Brown. She smiled at me as she opened the door wider.

"Lucas, come on in. What brings you here?" I stepped inside and turned to face her. "Thanks Janice. I came to see Maggie." She slightly hesitated before motioning to the stairs. "She's upstairs with Graham. I don't know if she'll talk though; something's been bugging her and she's been zoning out." I frowned and looked towards the stairs.

  "That's why I came actually. I was getting worried myself." Janice placed her hand on my shoulder and smiled. "Thank you. Go on up. It's the first room on the left." I advanced towards the stairs and made my way up, knocking on the door before stepping in. Maggie's back was to me as she was cradling Graham in her arms. I shook my head at her stubbornness.

  "Maggie, you just got your stitches redone and you're already breaking the rules again." She froze as she heard my voice and I could see her shoulders rise and fall as she inhaled deeply, letting it go soon after. "What are you doing here Luke?" Her voice was extremely calm, as if she were trying to keep it from showing her emotions.

"You didn't want to tell me what's on your mind and then you started ignoring my texts. It got me worried and we need to talk about it." Maggie walked to the crib and put Graham in it, putting her hair up in a ponytail after. She stayed right by the crib, not bothering to turn to look at me."I already told you that you didn't do-" I rolled my eyes and cut her off.

"Okay, I get that. But just because I didn't do anything doesn't mean I'm just gonna let whatever it is keep bothering you. Your parents and Sarah are worried too, why can't you just speak to one of us?" Maggie whipped around and threw her hands up.

"Again with that question," she hissed. "I've heard it enough times already. Why can't you guys just understand that it isn't a big deal?" I furrowed my eyebrows when I saw her eyes. They were red and puffy, giving away the fact that she's been crying a lot. I walked up to her and wiped off the tear streams that were on her cheeks with my palm.

"If it has you crying then it definitely is a big deal. What happened Maggie?" She bit her lip and let out a shaky breath. She put her hands in my wrists and pulled my hands away from her face. "It's nothing." She mumbled. By this point I was already starting to get angry. Many times I've heard those two words and it always ended to something.

"Stop being so stubborn and thinking you can handle everything yourself. It's not so hard to open up Maggie. You just got to speak." She narrowed her eyes and pushed me back. I stumbled a bit, not expecting the action. "It is hard. Trust me, If it were as easy as you make it seem I would've let the words tumble out of my mouth a long time ago Lucas, but no! Matter of fact it isn't easy." I raised my eyebrows and narrowed my eyes at her.

"You're the one who's making it hard. Everyone is willing to listen to you and help but you won't let it happen; and it's all because you're stubborn and you think that you can solve every single problem by forgetting it instead of facing it." Maggie clenched her hands into fists and closed her eyes. "Stop." I shook my head even though she couldn't see me.