Chapter 24

I gasped, greedily taking in air as I broke from the surface of the water, fighting to keep my head above the water as the current thrashed me about and moving at a rate that had me stunned and I could already feel myself struggling to keep myself from swallowing water.

I could already feel the rapid current carrying me, but I quickly thought better of trying to fight it. It was fast. A lot faster than I would be on my own two feet considering I couldn't shift because of my pregnancy. I was thankful I knew how to float and I held my belly protectively as it carried me.

It was the fastest way to put distance between the bounty hunters and I, and the closer I'd be to finding my way home.

All I knew was that all I wanted was for my daughter to be healthy. And I knew that not a thing on this green earth would keep me from seeing her be born healthy and alive.

So I let it carry me, grateful for the remnants of a broken tree that was racing down the river that I held on to as soon as it came in arms reach. I don't know how long I was floating on this log, but I was cold now and tired, so I just rested my head against it as I coursed along the river and closed my eyes, allowing it to take me away.

I sighed as I fell back onto the river bank as the current slowed and I was finally able to rest. My limbs slowly regaining feeling from being in the freezing water for so long. I would rather be cold and alive, then captured and my child in danger. The thing that worried me most was that she was moving.

A lot.

I smiled at the fact that I could no longer see or hear the river as I trudged away from it slowly, my strength depleted from having to fight the current from pulling me under.

I was alive.

I was fighting the current for what felt like hours. I knew with how fast it was carrying me that I had to be at least thirty or forty miles away from whoever in the hell was trying to kidnap me.

I was thankful that the current would wash away my scent and leave my kidnappers on a blind trail with no choice but to retreat.

I took the swimsuit I had off and laid them out on a rock in the sun so they would dry. I wandered quietly for only ten minutes when I found some wild berries and ate them and I walked back to the huge hollowed out tree trunk that I decided was safe to sleep in for the night, thankful for the secluded feel of the willow tree. I was exhausted.

I had was only asleep for a few hours when I felt myself wet. I thought I had peed myself, but when I started to cramp shortly after, I knew exactly what it was and I took a deep breath as I nodded to myself in understand, trying to remain level headed and calm. It want entirely how I pictured, but I would do this. I had to because I could tell there was no stopping it. My baby girl was coming and it was with a vengeance.

I cried out in pain as a contraction coursed through me, my abdomen feeling like it was burning as my muscles contracted.

"Oh, baby girl. You sure you can't bake a little longer?" I whispered as I rubbed my belly lightly.

I bit down on my lip as the pain continued, but I tried my best to steady my breathing.

"You just have to breathe, Charlie." I told myself, wincing in pain as another contraction began.

This continued for nearly three hours on and off again as night fell and I thought it was over until I felt pressure in my lower region and I felt an urge to push.

I sucked in a breath, growling as I pushed, gripping the inside of the tree for support and.

I could feel myself stretching as the baby was crowning and I winced at the pain, biting the flesh of my palm to silence my scream.

I relaxed momentarily as I tried to steady breathing as my head felt light and I took in a deep breath.

I continued a few small pushes for nearly half an hour. I was exhausted, but I knew she was close.

I sighed as I watched the sun peeking into the tree now, the night long gone, and I wondered if I had blacked out for some time. I breathed in one last time and growled out as I pushed now and I prayed silently to the moon that my pup would be okay.

I gasped in shock as I felt her slip out. I looked down, immediately picking her up, worrying when she didn't make any noise as I cradled her in my arms.

I cleaned her nose and mouth with my swim top, making sure her airway wasn't blocked.

"Come on, sweet girl." I said as I laid her on my chest, immediately rubbing her back to try and get her to cry.

  "Come on. Please, breathe baby girl. I need you to breathe for mama. Don't you want to see your daddy?" I cried.

I let out a relived breath as she cried out and began to stretch her limbs out as she wailed. I used my teeth to cut her chord and wrapped her in my arms after cleaning her. I was suddenly thankful for my overly warm temperature and I understood it now as I hugged her to me protectively, keeping her warm against my chest.

I was thankful that she was healthy and okay and I sent my praises to the sky as I stared up from the aged willow.

I smiled as she quickly found her own way and began eating as I held her.

"Somebody is going to be a strong girl." I whispered to her.

I wrapped my arms around her after she nursed, patting her gently as she slept soundly on my chest.

"Get some rest baby girl, we have a lot of work to do tomorrow, but first I think we should name you now shouldn't we? I was thinking Willow, it's only fitting seeing as you were born in one, don't you?" I said.

I watched as she cracked what I could only call a smile, little dimples appearing on her face.

I chuckled down at her as she responded to my voice sweetly.

"Well aren't we going to be a real heartbreaker with those, little Miss Willow."  I said and kissed her head softly. I needed to give my body time to heal, rest, but after we were going home.