Chapter 44

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that my wrist still slightly hurt, but was wrapped tightly and healing much quicker than I had anticipated.

I was in Kieran and I's room. I coughed, my throat stinging as I tried my best to clear it. I brought my fingers to it, feeling the smooth material of a think bandage as I ran my fingers up my neck. I gripped it, tugging it off to feel my skin beneath. It was smooth and unscarred still and I was thankful for my healing.

Despite my stiffness, I stood up and made my way towards the door. I went to open it, jumping as the door swung toward me, revealing James, bandages in hand.

He immediately cursed and lifted me, scooping me into his arms.

"Does everyone around here forget I have two working legs?" I asked as he walked down the stairs.

"I'd rather not here my son gripe about how you could hurt yourself, and besides, you have a pretty bad gash on your leg which you should keep the pressure off because it took a while to control the bleeding. And I was planning to hug you anyway." He said.

I hadn't even felt it during the challenge.

"Are the pups okay? Where is everyone? Kieran?" I asked as we came to an empty living room.

James set me down outside the sliding glass door that led to the porch.

"Glad to see you okay, sweetheart." James told me as he hugged me to him lightly and I thanked him.

I opened the door slowly with a smile, happiness filling me when the first face I saw was Willow's as she hobbled around with a slice of watermelon. I knew it had been some time because she was more stable now as she moved. James had mentioned it had been a few weeks, but seeing just how much that time had changed things made my heart lurch in my chest as I saw my baby girl.

She squealed at the site of me, dropping her watermelon as she reached up toward me. I picked her up without hesitation, hugging her to me as I breathed in her mingled scent of light vanilla, mint, and watermelon.

I saw the twins in their electric rockers next to Lily and I smiled at the sight as they slept. I turned as Ezra, Leah, Alina, and Daniel bounded up the steps. I couldn't help but laugh as Kieran came into view and I set Willow down and she ran over to her cooing brothers.

As per usual, he looked gorgeous as he wore a deep blue long sleeve and he held a huge ice chest in his arms. He set it down slowly, smiling as he did at the sight of me.

I didn't want to wait another second. I wanted to feel Kieran's warmth against me. I wanted to be in his arms and know that our forever was safe now, because a forever with this around me was all I wanted.

I practically threw myself in his arms, cuddling into his chest as he held me against him, his hands smoothing circles on my back during our embrace as I breathed in his mint laced scent and he clutched me to him greedily.

"It's over. We're all okay." He said as he pulled away, wiping the tears from my eyes as he smoothed the pad of his thumbs across my cheeks.

"I was so scared." I said.

He nodded quietly as he kissed my head.

" I knew you could do it, I just hated that you had to. " He said.

"I will never stop fighting for what I love." I said.

"And to think...You once stabbed me with a fork." He said smiling .

I chuckled, fisting his shirt as I brought his lips to mine, pulling away briefly.

"Don't test me though, I have plenty of silverware at my disposal." I warned.

He planted a chaste kiss on my lips before he lifted me, scooping Willow up as he walked with the both of us.

He kissed my head after setting me on the picnic table bench right next to my mother and Alina who greeted me with hugs, and across from James, Elise , and Alexander.

I watched Kieran as he walked over to Ezra, clapping Ezra on the back as he grilled.

I jumped when I saw a familiar face suddenly appear in front of me.

"Katrina!" I said in disbelief as I hugged her.

She and Solomon had gone back home to their pack since their Beta had been temporarily in charge.

I smiled as she had her son on her hip. He had to be close to a year old now. It amazed me at how fast time had gone by.

She set him down and walked over to Alina and Leah, hugging them both before she sat across from me at the table.

I looked around at my family and friends as they all talked and laughed.

I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have these people in my life.

I could whole heartedly say that I had a family and that I was home, and I loved each and every one of them with my entire heart. Without hesitation they had risked their lives for me on more than one occasion because they cared so much about me.

"Charlotte, why are you crying?" Alina asked as she studied me from across the table.

"Because I love you guys and I know you love me too." I said as I wiped my tears with the back of my hand.

My eyes found Kieran's as he smiled at me, his once cold eyes now held gentleness and tenderness as he stared at me.

He tipped his head to the side, gesturing for me to follow him.

I walked off the porch steps with him, hand in hand as we began walking. Kieran didn't have to say a word for me to know how he felt about me, how much he loved me, and I him.

And damn, did I love that man. More than he could ever fathom.

I stopped when we came to our familiar spring, the water still as the sun reflected off of it, but we didn't stop and we began climbing the boulders until we were nearly twenty feet above the water.

"Let's jump." He said as he took his shirt off, his pants soon following.

I flexed my hand, the soreness nearly gone and I grinned.

I took my shirt off and tossed it to the side where Kieran's sat.

I thought about him as I stared down at the water below me. How my life was once so similar to the said still water. Lifeless and boring and then Kieran came, barreling into the water, causing waves and life to emerge amongst the still nothingness.

"Do you have any idea of how much I love you?" I said aloud.

"An inkling perhaps." He said with a smile as he took my hand.

"Well I do, and I always will. Today, Tomorrow, and Forever." I said and jumped, hand in hand with Kieran as we went.

*****************

I just want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read my book. You have no idea how much you guys inspire me to continue doing the thing I love to do most. I can honestly say I love you guys and I appreciate you all!