47

These days, whenever the front door opened, I feared for my life. It had never been this bad. I was used to the neglect, and the abuse. But ever since my mother left us, it's gotten so much worse. He wakes up in a bad mood, he goes to work in a bad mood, he comes home in a bad mood, and he goes to bed in a bad mood. And when my father's in a bad mood, his temper shortens. He angers easily, and he takes it out—on me.

The lock turned, clicked, opened.

I sucked in a breath.

But there was nothing. No yelling. No screaming. Nothing shattering. There was only grumbling and the groan of the couch.

I stayed frozen, hardly breathing until the soft sounds of snoring drifted up. I sighed, standing up from the bed, gripping the bedpost as the blood rushed down from my head. After the feeling passed, I made my way down the stairs, shaking my head silently as I caught sight of him passed out on the couch, a half empty bottle of beer hanging from his hand.

Tentatively, I made my way over to him, slipping the bottle from his hold. He stirred, snoring louder. "Georgia…" he moaned, turning on his side towards the back of the couch.

Something caught in my throat.

"Did he just…" Destiny choked from behind me. "Did he just say Mom's name?"

I nodded without turning, speechless.

"Well," She scoffed. "At least we know he's capable."

Still in shock, I breathed, "Of what?"

"Of love," she growled, "useless piece of s***!"

I turned as she came up next to me, her right foot behind her. "No, Destiny!" I whispered furiously, stepping in front of her and placing my hands on her shoulders. Her eyes were blazing, darkened with purple rings. The underneath of her jaw was an ugly yellow and the skin around her nose was a fading black. I gasped. "What happened?"

Her eyes met mine, widening slightly as if she just realized I was speaking to her. "While you were gone," she breathed, "Grant was drunk and angry—about Mom, I guess…"

"Oh, so it's Grant now? Not Daddy anymore?" I stepped away from her, holding back a scowl.

She pursed her lips, glancing away. "Look, Danny," she said calmly. "Things are different, alright? Mom's gone. She was, like, Grant's rock, and he's losing it. I get how you feel now, okay? I understand."

"You think you understand?" I snapped, interrupting her. "You think you know what it's like being abused every day? You think you understand walking the halls by yourself, getting laughed at because you don't wear what's 'in style' to cover up your bruises? You think you know what it's like to be made fun of at school and at home? No, Destiny, I don't think you understand me. You don't understand me at all."

Her eyes narrowed. "I've got a reputation to uphold at school, you little b****." Her expression softened. "But, look, Danny… at home, we got to have each other's backs. But at school… I don't know you, alright?"

I rolled my eyes, turning away from her. "Whatever, Destiny." I turned back around. "Just one thing. Don't tell him about me and Josh, okay? I don't care if you're jealous, or mad, or upset or whatever. He cannot know. He'd kill me."

She shrugged. "Whatever," she replied, "but it's not my fault if Josh changes his mind." She whipped around and disappeared outside the front door.

I couldn't be in this house any longer. I turned and fled out of the back door towards the abandoned shed in the yard. Frustrated tears gathered in my eyes as I leaned my forehead on the shed. "You can come out now," I growled, turning and sliding down the wall.