Chapter 2 ✔️

(Daniel Sharman as the bad boy William Gold)

Edited

Chapter 2

To listen and to hear are two completely different things. One involves attention, while the other involves nodding blindly.

To listen is to actually care, but to hear is to get the information and just brush it aside. It takes a lot for someone to actually care, to offer help, to understand the words coming from another's mouth. Most don't listen, they simply just hear.

For me, I think people just hear me. My words going through one ear and out the other. No one really understands me, but I wish they would.

My words are turned to echoes, most just going unheard, while the things that matter are listened to.

It doesn't help that all I have to do is give them a bright smile, which isn't real, and instantly I have what I want.

They hear me when I give them that overly bright smile, which is never real, and I get what I want. They nod blindly, offering little to no real opinion, just hearing, not really caring.

"Of course Quinn darling you can go to the lake house with Cleo. I know how you two love having weekend getaways." My mother smiles lovingly at me, a bright supportive smile etched onto her perfect face that won her the election. It takes good work, and amazing looks to be a governor, but to be Selene Hemings, a woman in politics, with an overly wealthy family, and to be wife of Charles Hemings, the tech genius, it takes perfection.

Not to mention that having me as a daughter, it takes a whole lot of support to show the voters that she is not only committed to them but also me. She's a woman of all traits.

"Really mom?" I ask, trying to force her to read between the lines. This is the final string for the party to be canceled.

She just nods, continuing to look at her computer.

I try again, hoping she'll catch on. "And you don't mind that we have a few friends over?" I confirm, trying to hide the hope behind my words, fiddling with my fingers, a trait I've learned makes me look suspicious.

She looks up at me, and for a second relief floods through me, "What gender are these friends?"

"Boys and girls."

"Okay, not a problem. Just make sure that if you do the deed that you use protection, I'm still a little too young for grandkids. But the scandal would be great for my next campaign." She jokes, smiling at me happily, and instantly all hope for this party to get canceled gets ripped away from me.

I give her a tight smile, one that I know she'll think is real, and thank her, heading to my room to pack an overnight bag, and start heading to my lake house. Heaven forbid a parent actually pick up on hints of their teens parties.  I mean why couldn't she be like other mom, ones that don't want their teenage daughter to have sex.

~*~ 

"Quinn! Oh good, you're finally here!" Cleo squeals as she rushes to me, dragging me into the lake house, and I take in my once cozy first floor is now set up for a high school rager.

All of soft sofas are pushed back a little making room for a space to dance. The oak dining table is cleared of the center piece, and the first round of beer pong is set. The kitchen has cooler after cooler of what I can only imagine is alcohol. And the DJ is here setting up his equipment for tonight.

Good bye my once cozy home away from home. It was lovely to have been apart of the history of this house.

"So as you can see, set up is basically all done. I wish you would have come earlier to help, it would have been so much easier. But anyway, we need to get ready. Everyone will be getting here soon, so come on." And with that she drags up into the room that is oddly now considered mine since my parents said when I come here I could use the master bedroom for now on, after all it's my house.