Chapter Four

Success just keeps building :)

Chapter Four

After I give Chloe a ride home, telling her all about how Noah decided to be my partner for some odd reason, I head to my own home. I park my car behind both of my parents cars- my dad's 2010 Toyota Tundra and my moms 2012 Honda Accord-  and go inside.

My house is nothing special. It's a two story, standard home for a three person family. No stone driveway, no brick siding, no golden doorbell, just a regular neighborhood home. Light brown siding, dark brown shutters, sky blue door, and a black asphalt driveway.

As soon as I open the door, I'm just about tackled to the ground and licked to death by my two pit-bulls, Angel and Bruce.

"Hey! Hey I see you! How are my puppies doing?" I ask as my voice gets mushy and deeper. It's my dog voice, everyone has one. And if they deny it, just bring them towards a dog and that lie will go flying out the window.

I set my keys on the table beside the door and kneel down to pet them, still getting attacked by a bunch of doggy kisses.

They may not be puppies by any means since they're both seven years old, but I call any dog I see a "puppy." Because, let's be honest, they're all puppies at heart.

"Thank you," I say as they both give me one final lick on my face. They sit back down and just wag their tails at me and I grin. "Alright! You can each have a treat. But only one!" I say sternly, and I swear they nod at me.

They follow me into the kitchen, and that's when an amazing, mouthwatering scent enters my nose.

Yep. Mom ordered Chinese food.

Score.

"Hey, honey." My dad greets, giving me a small hug and a kiss on my head as I enter the kitchen.

"Reagan, sweetie, how was school?" Mom asks from her seat at our little dinner nook. It's supposed to be like a breakfast nook, but we eat every meal there since it's just the three of us.

I sigh, "It was lovely aside from the fact stupid Hayden almost rammed right into me." I grumble.

I see mom chuckle with an eye-roll and dad puts paper plates on the table for us. Mom knows all about my annoyance with Hayden since we share everything with one another. She's pretty much my best friend; I tell her almost everything that goes on if it's interesting enough. I know some kids act in different ways to impress their parents or whatever, but I am 100% myself around mine.

I get out a treat for Bruce and Angel who are practically stepping on top of one another to get to me first. "Easy," I say as I feed them.

Bruce pretty much scarfs his down, but Angel eats hers only slightly more delicately. Then, when they realize they aren't going to get anymore, they scamper off into the living room side by side.

"So, who burnt dinner and who decided on Chinese?" I smirk as I take my seat.

Mom looks over at dad with hard eyes and he sighs. "Fine. I burnt the Hamburger Helper. But your mom had her music so loud that I couldn't hear timer go off." He accuses, stabbing some orange chicken as he puts it on his plate.

"I turned it down when you asked." She retaliates.

"Yeah, after the food was burnt." He snaps.

Mom just sighs deeply and rolls her eyes, but not in playful banter, and I look down quietly. We fall into an awkward silence as we each pick at our food.