Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Placing the shoe box holding every letter I've ever received back under my bed, I drape the covers back over it and jump on top of my mattress. The letter I got earlier today was just as tender and loving as every other letter, and of course I couldn't keep my smile hidden. That, plus the fact today is Friday, has kept a smile on my face.

Bruce lifts his head as the bed shakes and huffs in annoyance as I jump onto the bed, making it rattle, but I just roll my eyes at him.

"I'm so sorry to disturb you by sitting on my own bed." I mutter, and he narrows his eyes at me.

Angel snuggles closer to him and he places his attention on her. I chuckle and pull out my phone, still on a high from reading through some of my love letters.

Of course I always wonder who it is, and with my newfound relationships with Noah and Hayden...sometimes their names float around my mind- as is to be assumed.

Noah seems a more likely contender, but he doesn't even seem to know that I get love letters. So either he's really good at acting or he truly doesn't know about them.

Hayden on the other hand is so confident that I can't tell.

I hear a knocking at my door and a second later my dad walks in with a kind smile.

"Hey pumpkin," he says, sitting on my bed.

Bruce crawls over to him and rests his head on my dad's lap, his puppy dog eyes breaking my dad's tough demeanor.

"Hey dad, what's up?" I ask, crossing my legs.

He starts playing with Bruce's ears and I laugh as Bruce scrunches up his face and shakes his head to get them back to how they were before.

"Your mother and I are going out tonight. I'm taking her for a night out on the town, and we will not be home until sometime tomorrow. Are you okay staying here alone, or would you prefer we get your grandmother to come over and watch you?" He asks, glancing at me worriedly.

My eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "You and mom are going out?"

He chuckles and nods, "I know, it's hard to believe. I don't like the idea of you staying here alone all night, you are still my little girl after all, but your mother wants it to be your decision."

I recoil slightly and blink at him. "You mean you and mom are going to let me stay home alone?"

He sighs, "I prefer we didn't. But your mother seems to think it's perfectly fine." He is just shy of spitting her name out. "You have Bruce and Angel, and I trust you to not throw a party or anything. You don't have enough friends to." He adds teasingly.

I scoff and shove him, and he chuckles.

"I'm okay staying here alone." I decide.

"Are you sure?" He asks, worry seeping into his eyes. I understand his concern, but I'm seventeen now. So there's really no need to worry.

I smile reassuringly at him. "Don't worry dad, I'll be fine."

He looks over at Bruce and Angel and gently grabs their chins so that they pay attention to him. "Alright listen up you two. If anyone, and I mean anyone comes into this house unannounced, you have my permission to sink into their leg and don't let go until I'm here to finish them off." He says. "And I'm being serious. You don't let anyone hurt my baby girl, alright?"

I swear I see them nod their heads in response, and Bruce growls at the idea of anyone laying a harmful finger on me. Angel stands from where she was lying and instead lays next to me, tucking her head into my neck so that her wet nose is against my skin in a sense of comfort.