Chapter Fifteen

Thank you for the amazing support!

Chapter Fifteen

Dear Beautiful,

     I've never felt a want this strong before. I want to tell you my feelings and make you feel the same zoo of butterflies that I do. I want to tell you that you take my breath away whenever I see you. I want to play with your hair, listen to your 3am thoughts. I want you to roll your eyes at my sarcasm and laugh at my corny jokes. I want to kiss you until my lips are numb, and even then I'll want to kiss you some more. I want to lay in an open field with you and watch the stars in the dark sky as we talk about everything and nothing all at once. I want to love everything about you. I want you to love everything about me.

     But wanting you so bad has made me realize how powerful fear truly is. Fear of being turned down. Fear of rejection. To be honest, fear of falling even more in love with you.

That's why I'm anonymous, Beautiful. Because I'm afraid of having you and then losing you.

     Love,
           Anonymous

I roll my bottom lip between my teeth as I finish reading my letter and tuck it back into its envelope. I glance around the hallway in empty hope of the author of my love letters standing nearby, but since it's early in the morning no one else but me is here.

I slide the envelope into my back pocket and start walking towards my art class, 30 minutes early to continue my usual routine.

"So I heard that you were the culprit of that lovely outfit Hayden wore the other day." Duncan greets me.

I chuckle and take the coffee sitting at my desk with a small thank you. "He lost a crucial game of pool." I shrug, sipping my deliciously warm coffee.

"Is there anything going on there? You know, more than a friendship?"

His question has me choking on the coffee that I was trying to swallow, and I cough it up so that it drops out of my mouth and onto the floor.

"No!" I exclaim through a fit of coughing.

Mr. Duncan jumps from my reaction and quickly grabs some paper towels from the counter, rushing to me to help clean up my small mess.

"I was only asking." He defends.

"I've only just admitted to him being tolerable. We truly aren't even friends." I mutter, wiping some coffee from my jeans.

"Aren't friends?" Duncan echoes in disbelief.

I glance at him and shake my head.

"You were at his house playing pool. You convinced him to wear pink short shorts and he didn't get revenge. You voluntarily talk and laugh with him. Need I go on?"

"I try not to dwell on the facts." I say, still trying to remove the hideous stain from my light wash jeans. "I just got these the other day!" I groan.

Mr. Duncan sits/leans on my desk and crosses his arms. "Well have you thought of him as an option for the love letters?"

I snap my head up so fast that I think I may have broken my neck or gotten a serious case of whiplash. "Excuse me?"

"Hayden, the author of your love letters?"

I narrow my eyes. "Are you on something?"

He sighs and pushes off of my desk, standing up. "All I'm saying is that you two seem to be getting sort of close, have you not considered him?"