Ch. 21 - Battered and Bruised (pt. 1)

Warning: there is abuse mentioned in the following chapter, so beware!

     "y/n, you want to hang out after school," I hear my best friend, Stiles, ask

     "y/n, you want to hang out after school," I hear my best friend, Stiles, ask. My mouth forms a firm, thin line in thought. Of course I would.

"No sorry, I'm busy tonight," I explain sadly. It's not like I don't want to hang out with him outside of school, it's just that I can't. My dad doesn't really like it when I'm doing anything else besides learning and digging graves at the cemetery. Let's just say my dad is a drunk and never goes into work which means my brother and I go in for him.

"You're always busy. Do you have like a 'home' phobia?" I laugh at his question.

"I live in a home, dimwit," my tone is teasing and condescending, but this only causes his grin to widen.

"What about being homesick? Do you not like leaving your house for too long, is that the problem?"

"Something like that." However, I immediately regret the words when he begins to speak again, "Well then, how about we hang out tonight at your place?" My breathing hitches as my heart seems to get caught up in my throat. I stare at him in a heap of nerves as I try to come up with something. Calm down, y/n, calm down.

I sigh in relief as the bell goes off signaling the end of the day. My body hurls itself out of the chair with my hands securely wrapped around my bag. In a frenzy, I push myself through the crowd and into the hallway. Before long, I've exited out the front doors and suddenly feel as if I can breathe again.

It's not like he knows where I live, I tell myself as I lean against the wall. I blend into the corner not wanting Stiles to see me as I wait for my brother. I swear that boy takes forever every time. He better hurry his ass up, because dad gets home early today from the bar and he hates it when we take too long.

Finally, I spot his familiar light brown locks sprung out messily across his forehead. He seems rushed which means he actually remembered about Dad. I immediately link my arm through his and pull us towards the direction of our house. Luckily, it's not too far, but it's a good ten minute walk so we definitely need a little pep in our step.

Once we're on our street, we slow down and relax as we notice our dad's car isn't in the driveway yet. Thank the heavens. We become even more relaxed once we're safely inside. The two of us smile at each other before making our way to the fridge. He should be home any minute now, so we only grab something we can finish within a second like a slice of cheese or a handful of cereal.

Right as we're about to finish eating the last of our snack, the doorbell goes off. Weird. Our dad has a key to the house so I don't know who the hell is out our door. It's probably someone trying to sell some shit no ones interested in. So with the thought of turning down whoever's outside, I approach the door and swing it open. However, the last person any of us would have expected is standing there awkwardly. His hands shoved into his pockets as he wears a sheepish grin.