Club Drinks & Honesty

Noah's POV

"I did it," I looked down at one of the patients in the infirmary.

"You didn't know if you could?" The patient managed a weary smile. Even though doubt tugged at the edges of her mouth, I still healed her and nothing could take away my achievement.

"Several broken bones, severe nerve damage not to mention the gash in her side, impressive." Gramps nodded in approval.

"I could see the breaks and I visualised the energy like you said. It took a lot out of me though,"a wave of fatigue had me teetering on my feet.

"Healing has its limits. With the goddesses energy you can heal plenty of wounds but each time you do some of your life force is used as well. Never try and bring someone back from the dead or the brink of death, you will die."

I understood exactly what gramps was saying. A sweat had broken out on my forehead. I didn't need to imagine what would happen if I tried to revive someone.

"I hear you managed to kick Jason's feet right out from under him. You're learning pretty fast," Gramps grinned with pride.

"I guess I am. I have to if I want to rescue Nate," my voice hardened.

Like all the other times I'd told gramps about my plan he paled. It had been three weeks since word came back about Delenae and the dark king. I could sense apprehension when I mentioned them, but all my progress was because I had a goal to achieve. Nate needed me.

"Tonight you should ask Jason if he can help you focus your sight," gramps grumbled and then slowly left the infirmary. I had worried the old man.

I found Jason getting one more set in, and like usual I found myself watching. Hard muscles flexed as he lifted the weights. It was hard not to watch the way his skin glistened or the look of concentration that wrinkled his nose.

I'd noticed Jason's physique before, but now it was impossible to ignore him. My stomach clenched when our eyes met.

"I'm almost done," He lifted the weights two more times without breaking eye contact and then got off the bench.

"Gramps said I should ask you to help me focus my sight. I feel like I have an idea on how..."

Jason interrupted, "You've been working hard, but you have to have fun too. I was going to go out with my friends tonight in the next city over. Since I have to watch you anyway, you're going to have to come out with us."

He had a point, I had been working hard but the objection was right there on the tip of my tongue. Nate needed to be saved, what kind of friend would I be if I went out while he was losing his soul.

Jason was already headed to his room before I could voice my concern. Swallowing my objection I went to get ready.
~
Cameron and Gina were all smiles as we got past security and entered the bar. I expected it to be a small local bar, but it had two levels and was packed.

Music bumped at a comfortable level as I visibly tried to relax. It had been a long time since I had gone out or done anything normal like that.

"Hey you need a drink," Cameron clapped me on the back as we all approached the bar. Three shots later I was really loosening up.

I watched Jason whisper something in Gina's ear and then they were off to the dance floor.

"Jason is a beast on the dance floor but I don't know one thing he's bad at other than reigning in his thoughts. Sometimes he's straight up rude," Cameron chuckled.

"How did he come to the Nosti settlement?" I asked as I watched Jason spin Gina. He was a phenomenal dancer.

"One day gramps introduced him to us. That's about all I know because Jason doesn't open up about his past. It doesn't matter though because he has our backs when it matters. Want to dance?"