Chapter 22

One week later, Aria's POV:

Kayla had finally decided that it was time to go get Zane. She said he was weakening, which I wasn't sure how she knew. I just decided to follow her judgment. The trackers were waiting for us outside, along with a few warriors, just in case. We met up with the hunters, wasting no time as we shifted to wolf.

I could smell him slightly, his scent having faded. The trackers could smell him like it was fresh, so they took the lead. We followed, our paws creating a thundering sound. Only a wolf could hear it, so we couldn't be hunted or anything like that.

I knew this would take us a while, and Kayla had offered for me to stay home, but I just had to see if he was ok then and there. My heart was racing in my chest, anxiety coursing through my veins. I could tell she was extremely nervous, since she could sense him barely.

We traveled like this for more than an hour, which meant he had gone a long way from the border. The trackers slowed around the second hour mark, their noses pressed against the ground. They wanted him back as much as I wanted we wanted him back. Even if Kayla was a great Alpha, they still really wanted him to be their Alpha as well.

Two Alphas in one house could get difficult, especially when they were both somewhat stubborn. That would be an obstacle to overcome. Then there was the fact that Kayla would have to share power with Zane, since he would be Alpha as well. I really didn't know how that would go.

A howl snapped me out of my thoughts. One of the trackers had signaled where Zane was. I was surprised that the wolf was still alive, seeing as Zane probably would've attacked anyone else from our pack. Me and Kayla both took off in that direction. If the wolf was still living, that was a sure sign something was wrong.

Zane's POV:

I let out a weak snarl, my eyes landing on a tracker. He watched me with wary eyes, ready to run at any sign of attack. I felt my wolf wag his tail slightly, since he could sense his mate nearby. At this point, I was going to take any help I could get.

I lay in a hollowed out tree, my black dyed fur turning into a grey color. I was skinny, very skinny. The poison from Charles' venom weakened me greatly, to the point where I couldn't fight off any other infection. My body was burning, my breathing shallow as I focused on the wolf in front of me.

He stepped to the side, bowing his head as two familiar wolves rounded the corner. Both whined, though both of them knew they couldn't do anything to help me right now. I let out a quiet snarl, trying to push myself to my feet.

I was too weak to do even that, and I growled angrily at myself. A few men rushed over, picking me up in a somewhat gentle way. They knew they had basically no time to get me back, so they were going to move as fast as they possibly could.

Both girls followed behind, their worry rolling off them in waves. I could practically feel Kayla's wolf pacing in her head, though I had the feeling that it was just her wolf who was worried. It took a while, I'm not completely sure how long. A minutes felt like an hour, so we could've been running for much longer or shorter than I thought it was.

As soon as we arrived back at the pack house, the wolves rushed me inside, placing me in the emergency ward of the pack hospital. The doctors got to work, identifying the cause of my sickness soon after. They injected me with antibiotics, trying to get rid of the bacteria in my stomach.

As soon as they drew some blood, they sent it to the lab. All this time, I stared straight ahead, unable to move more than an inch. I could feel multiple presences around me, making me and my wolf go into a defensive mode. We let out a growl, though it was very weak.

Soon, the sickness washed over me and I couldn't stop the black out that took over.

Kayla's POV:

I looked down at my mate, my heart breaking in two. It was hard to believe that he was dying, especially because it was a vampires bite that caused this. The doctors had no cure for him, which meant that he was probably going to die.

The thought made my wolf cry out in sadness, wishing we could have one more chance. If only I had explained why I rejected him. If only I'd stopped him from running that day. This wouldn't have happened if I had stopped him.

*Flashback*

An angered growl escaped from my fathers chest, rumbling through the floor. He looked at me, his wolf shining through his eyes.

"He can't be your mate. He's an omega, one that doesn't belong in this pack in the first place! And you still believe I'll let you mate with that piece of filth. No! You will reject him, and if you don't... I'll remove your status as Alpha, stripping you of your extra abilities and I'll make sure everyone around knows that you two are deadly, so they don't pity you."

He growled out, his face deadly serious. I couldn't lose everything I've ever known. I knew what I had to do, even if it meant heart break. If I didn't do this, surrounding packs would kill us off, being falsely told we were dangerous. I couldn't let that happen to my broken omega. I had to protect him.

*return to normal time*

That day, I had no clue how I would tell him. I'd spent many hours thinking of a way to tell him. In the end, I just rejected him. I hadn't had time to explain, and now I wish I had. He wouldn't be dying if I had. I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of his heart monitor slowing down. Then it flat lined.