Chapter 29

Zane's POV

I walked out of the room, my head hanging low. I was scared, which was understandable. The last time I faced Charles nearly got me killed. That was a pain I didn't want to go through again, nor did I want to put Kayla through that.

My lips tingled, the memory of our first kiss locked in my mind. It felt strange, but I was glad I got to show at least a little affection before I left. I also knew that it would strengthen our bond, which has a good chance of making me stronger. I could possibly win tonight and come back for her, go give her the chance I promised her.

I walked to where Aria was, plastering a blank look on my face. I didn't want her to worry, I just wanted to see her one last time before I left. She was on the couch in the living room, a book in hand. I smiled a little, remembering how she used to read all the time when we were stuck in this hell. She used to read to me to help me sleep, to help settle my anxiety and fear.

I shook the thoughts away, moving to the couch.

"Hey... I just wanted to say.... Well, you've been my best friend for as long as I can remember, and I want to thank you, though it will never cover what you've done for me.."

I pulled her into a hug, feeling the confusion and fear settle into her body. I knew what she was thinking, but it was completely opposite of what I was doing to do.

"Please don't leave... I thought you promised...?"

I could only shake my head, knowing she would try and follow if I told her.

"Just promise me to take care of Kayla if I don't come back..."

I didn't say anything else, giving her a look that told her to stay. She knew something was going on, but she didn't know what. I knew she would ask Kayla, but I would be long gone by then. I swiftly left the house, glancing back briefly. In a window on the upper floor, I saw someone looking down at me. I knew it was Kayla, watching me leave.

I sent a short wave up to her, shifting into my wolf soon after. My clothing tore, my body growing to match the large size of Lyall. I lifted my nose to the air, smelling for the scent of rotting blood. It wasn't long before I found it, the scent lingering close to the border. He had yet to cross the border, knowing the patrol would attempt to kill him. Attempt.

I followed the scent slowly, feeling dread fill my body, my heart rapidly beating in my chest. Everything was telling me to turn back, to avoid the pain that I would most definitely feel. Still, I pushed on, determined to end this madness. I soon reached pack borders, and I stopped, hesitant to cross it. It would be easier on pack land because I knew this place like the back of my hand.

On the other side was unknown, full of other things that would definitely attempt to kill me. I hesitantly placed a paw over the border, feeling the pain in my heart as I left my mate and best friend behind.

Aria's POV

Confusion attacked my brain and filled my body. He looked so sad, even through the mask he'd attempted to put up. It was almost like he didn't think about coming back. As soon as he left I got up and bolted to the door he walked out of, getting there in time to see his wolf disappear into the trees.

I instantly thought of Kayla, remembering the last thing he said to me. I moved as quickly as I could, finding her standing in the hall upstairs, tears in her eyes. Without warning, I pulled her into a hug. I didn't know what was going on, but if I was going to take care of Kayla, then I'd need to know what was happening.