Chapter thirty-two: Damsel

I wanted to pretend the last few hours never happened.

I wanted to pretend that my mother never hit me.

I wanted to pretend that I never showed up on Noah's doorstep, crying and shivering in the rain.

I wanted to pretend that he never pulled me into his arms and carried me up the stairs to his room like some stupid damsel in distress.

And let's just forget about the whole Giving-me-his-hoodie-to-wear-and-wrapping-me-in-a-blanket-like-a-child-thing.

I just wanted to pretend it never happened.

"Need anything?" Noah asked quietly, leaning against the wall as he observed me intently.
I sat on his bed, wrapped in a quilt with the hood drawn over my face.
Shaking my head, I forced deep breaths down my throat in hopes of calming myself.
This wasn't me. Hanna Green didn't cry.
She stood up and punched the offender in the throat.

But what if that offender was her own mother?

Hiccuping, more tears came and I bowed my head, allowing my hair to fall around my face like a curtain.
I felt the bed dip and a moment later a warm hand cupped my cheek. Noah tilted up my head to face him, forcing me to meet his eyes.

"Berry, Hanna. Please, tell me what's wrong."
He shifted closer and I suddenly flinched.

Silence wrapped around us until slowly, Noah brushed back my hair to present the angry red mark to the world.

I avoided Noah's eyes as his hand tightened around my chin.
Uh-oh.

"Who." Just that one word. That one word spoken with such rolling thunder that I shied away.

"Hanna..." Noah grabbed my shoulders and shook me, making me snap my eyes up at him.

"Who did that? Tell me-"

"My mom." I blurted, choking on my own words.
Sucking in a breath, I closed my eyes before exhaling.
"My mom hit me, Noah."

Noah's eyes widened in surprise, and his lips parted. "I-I didn't know."

"Of course you didn't. It just happened didn't it?" I sniffled, desperately trying to smile but failing miserably.

We fell silent, then Noah pulled me closer and hugged me tight.
"I'm so sorry..." He whispered into my hair.
Gripping the back of his shirt, I allowed myself to sink into the embrace unashamed.

I stayed there for a while, relishing in his warmth before I slowly pulled away, wiping my eyes and giving him a weak smile.

"How are you here? Weren't you with your rider buddies?"

Noah chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck.
"I left shortly after you did. Stacie stopped by and Jay took her to the room Issac gave him. I didn't need to stay to hear that." He grimaced, and I laughed.

Noah smiled slightly, then his eyes dipped down to the bruise again. Lifting a hand, he gently touched it.
My breath hitched as his warmth melted into my skin, and I unconsciously leaned into his touch.
Noah cleared his throat, taking his hand away.

I blinked in surprise, and some demon must have possessed me, because I edged closer and leaned my head against his chest. Noah stiffened, probably wondering what was wrong with me.
Then he wrapped his arms around me again and rested his cheek against my head.

I closed my eyes, listening to Noah's heartbeat that thumped against my ear.
Bringing my arm up, I wrapped it around his neck loosely and heard his heart pick up its pace.
Did I do that?

"Hanna?" Noah suddenly asked, keeping his voice soft.
I hummed in response.

"You don't need to answer but... what happened?"

I froze at Noah's question, then my mind rewinded back to my house.

I blushed slightly and leaned back away from him.
"She wasn't worried about my disappearance, and when I returned home I found out that she had invited Adam for dinner. He's this guy she's trying to hook up with me." I explained.

"We began to argue, and I...I said how I didn't want to date Adam because... I liked someone else, and that just because her marriage was garbage didn't mean she got to live through me." I mumbled quietly, staring hard at my hands.

Movement made me look up, and I sucked in a gasp as Noah suddenly leaned closer.
"So she hit you because you liked someone beside McRich boy?"
His blue eyes darkened with an emotion that I've only ever read about in books.

I nodded, my lips parted slightly.

"Really?"

"Mhm." Did I seriously just squeak? I think I squeaked.
Well how could you blame me! Noah was currently looking at me like I was a new interesting snack he couldn't wait to try.
Yay cannibalism?

"And who is this guy that finally managed to catch your eye?" Noah murmured, coking his head to the side.
I swallowed.

"Um..."

Noah continued to prowl closer, and I began to slowly lower myself to the mattress.

Noah waited for my answer, that gleam still in his eyes.

Well...this escalated quickly.

"He goes to our school," I began, fighting to keep my voice steady.

"And?"

His hands were now behind me, and his face was inches from mine.

"And...he likes motorcycles."

The mattress pressed into my back.
Sweet cricket on a cracker, Noah was close.
Really close.

"And what's this guys name?"
Oh boy. Here we go.

Snap out of it Hanna!

But he's so cute...and so close...

"I-I..."

Noah's head dipped downwards and traced his nose along my jawline.
My eyes fluttered shut as I grabbed onto his shoulders.
Lord give me strength.

"Hanna?"

"Hmm?" I breathed, consumed by his scent and touch.
Jesus was that airy voice mine?

"I'm waiting."

Oh right. What was his name again?
My brain was mush as Noah's hands skimmed my sides.

Noah! That's his name!

But that thought melted as his hand found the opening of the hoodie and traced gentle circles into the exposed skin of my stomach. I gripped the pillow behind me, biting back a moan.

A warmth I can only describe as burning ice melted into my skin as his hands slid higher, higher, stopping just on the sensitive skin of my rib cage.

I fought to keep my eyes open, digging my fingers into my own hair and gripping tight. "Noah," I moaned.

"So is this how babies are made?" Came a sudden, unfamiliar voice.

A/N: *coughs awkwardly*