Chapter 4

For the next few days, Arte would summon you at random times. He would threaten your life constantly but you did your best to remain calm. Seeing that he wasn't getting anywhere with the threats, he began doing more disturbing things. He would bring you to the torture chamber on random occasions. What you saw horrified you. The people who were being tortured didn't even look human anymore. They were living corpses. 

You began questioning whether or not you should give in to your fears. If you did, maybe it would end. You didn't get it though. You thought eventually he would get bored with you and move on to the next but he was fixed mainly on you. What you didn't get also was why you never were beaten. You considered yourself lucky for being able to avoid such fate but it didn't make sense. If he truly wanted to break you, he could of just physically harmed you. So why didn't he? You wandered into the gardens after finishing up your chores. You sat down. Memories of the time when you were free and living in the village kept replaying in your head. You weren't aware that you had tears streaming down your face.

Arte was alone in his room. He was angry. You weren't responding the way he wanted you to. He wanted you to be cowering. To be groveling on the ground. Every tactic he came up with was failing him. His door soon opened and a woman stepped in. Her clothes were made of the finest material. There was no doubt she was a woman of high society.

"Hello Arte." She says in a overly cheerful voice.

"What do you want?" He spits out. The woman merely smiles and continues.

"What do you think? It has been months since we finalized the engagement. We need to plan a wedding."

"Do it yourself." Arte was never truly invested in this engagement. This was because he needed to marry her for political gain. Arte walks out of the room. Once he is out of the room, the woman's cheerful facade disappears.

"It wouldn't kill you to say my name." she spits out angrily. The woman was name Regina Langress. The Langress family held a lot of political power. Regina had many illegitimate siblings due to both of her parents being constantly infidel to one another. Regina was the only one who was biologically related to both. This made her a valuable pawn to her family. When her family was presented with the opportunity to get her engaged to the current emperor, they jumped it, not caring what she thought. In reality, she hated him. She kept up her cheerful and air-headed persona so she wouldn't risk being killed. She knew what he has done and why he does it. 

As for Arte...

He decided to go for a walk in the garden area. He looked around aimlessly until his sights were set on a particular person. You. Smirking he sneaked up on you. You were sitting down facing away from him. He was about unsheathe his sword when he heard sniffling. He went still. You were crying.

"F/n." He called. You straightened up. You turn around slowly. The one man you couldn't afford seeing you right now, has just seen you crying.