Chapter 12

You were in a dress shop with Regina. She was browsing around the wedding dresses seeing what would suit her best. As for you, you went on looking at the more cheaper things. One dress did catch your eye. It was rather simplistic compared to everything else but you found yourself admiring the simplicity. As you continued staring at the dress, Regina sneaks up behind you.

"Of all the things here, you find yourself eyeing that. Then again, your tastes aren't as refined as mine." You turn and see Regina and behind her, an attendant with pile of clothes. "Get in the carriage, we are going to the castle." You nod. As soon as you exit, you see another attendant removing the dress and going to the counter. 

"So someone bought it." you say aloud. "Not like I could of gotten it." Even though Arte was treating you better, you were still a slave. Besides, you had no money. Regina soon exits and the box of clothes are stored away. The trip is quiet and then it hits you. "Arte doesn't know where I am." Regina stiffens as well. But soon she relaxes.

"Don't sweat it. He is not going to hurt you badly. He can't do the same to me yet either so we are in the clear."

"But he will still get angry."

"I've seen how he acts around you. He probably will release his anger on someone else."

"That doesn't make me feel better."

"Better them then you." She says as she looks out the window. You begin thinking about explanations to give to Arte when she asks you a question. "What kind of family did you have F/n?"

"Excuse me?"

"Your family. What kind of people were they." You begin thinking of your memories in the village.

"My mother died shortly after I was born so I don't have much memories of her, but my father told me she was an amazing person. As for my father, he was a fair man. He always put me before himself. We were close for as long as I can remember." you say fondly.

"You sound like you had a pleasant childhood before you know." You notice Regina's eyes. They are filled with envy. "My parents hate each other. They had me and then screwed whatever person they pleased and I wound up having to be the ideal daughter since I am the legitimate successor of the Langress family."

"I am sorry."

"For what. You weren't there. Why are you apologizing. Besides it is not like I have no flaws either. I hate my family for one. They sold me off to a man who might just have me killed so they could get more power. The only good thing from them was the money they gave me." When you remain silent she sighs. "F/n. This is what it means to be in the top. To lie, betray and being straight out cruel. Majority of the families with political powers, hate each others guts and are looking for ways to get what they want. In order to that, you must be willing to do whatever it takes to get it. You need to learn this if you want to get out."

"Excuse me." You ask.

"Don't play dumb. You were planning on running way. Arte hasn't realized this because he isn't aware of how you managed to get the little slave girl out. You avoid the men of the castle because you want to prevent them from being victims of Arte. F/n if you want to escape, you need to be prepared to do anything to get to freedom." Before you could ask what she means you have arrived at the castle.

When you and Regina step out, you see an extremely angry Arte. You see Regina tense up. Arte walks up to her and slaps her hard. So hard she falls down.

"Why did you take her? Why did you take my F/n!?" Regina puts a hand to her cheek before slowly rising up. Before Regina could say anything, you cut in.

"I wanted to go outside. Lady Regina was talking to a maid about needing extra hands to help carrying clothes and I begged her to take me along." Regina stares at you wide eyed. 

"Is this true?" He turns to Regina. She only nods. He then grabs your arm. "You are coming with me." He then drags you off. Regina turns to the boxes of clothes when you disappear into the distance. One box in particular catches her eyes. She picks it up and opens it. Inside is the dress you were admiring.

"What the hell am I doing with my life." she asks herself aloud. She then turns to the castle imagining what was in store for you. Regina for the first time was worried about someone else.