Taken

It had been a few weeks since I moved into my apartment. I was getting to know the neighbors, and my work was going along smoothly. I got a raise, which helped me pay for the apartment. I was still doing two shifts every night, but it was getting easier. 

It was early in the morning when I heard knocking. I opened my eyes, thinking that it must have been someone on the level above me. I glanced at the clock. 2:34 a.m. They must be getting a snack or something... Lots of people get hungry in the middle of the night.

As I began to drift to sleep, the knock came again. I jolted out of my bed, realizing it was coming from my front door. Because I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and because my brain was still clouded with sleepiness, I got out of my bed and walked to the door. Sluggishly, I looked through the peephole, but I didn't see anyone. I began to walk away when the knock came once more. 

"Who is at the door at this time?!" I grouchily say. I unlocked the door and threw it open, stumbling back as someone shoved something in my face. It smelled sweet, just like... 

Chloroform. 

Panicked, I backed away as far as I could, smashing a vase in the process. Looking down, I picked up a shattered piece, deciding to use it against whoever was in my doorway. A perk of having an overprotective mom was that she taught me how to use anything as a weapon. Car keys, toothpicks, a lamp... Anything. 

The intruder jumped at me, a knife in his hand. He wanted to make this silent, and judging by the chloroform, he wanted to take me with him too. He slashed at my shoulder, but I dodged, and instead he hit my thigh. I screamed in pain, taking a few steps back to look at my new wound.

The distraction gave him enough time to pin me to the wall, shoving the chloroform soaked rag over my mouth and nose. I held my breath, stabbing his gut with the dainty clay piece in my fist. He loosened his grip, but didn't let go.

My lungs were now throbbing. I frantically stabbed the man in various places, trying to get him to let go. He didn't even bat an eye.

Desperate, I tried to stab the clad man in the eye, but he moved his head out of the way. My lungs screamed, forcing me to open my mouth and gasp. The chloroform went straight to my head, my eyelids grew heavier and heavier. I shoved and stabbed and pushed, feeling helpless as he held me with an iron grip. My limbs slowly grew weaker and heavier. My legs couldn't hold my weight anymore, giving way underneath me. The man in black and a skii mask held me up, pushing the rag closer to my mouth. 

I couldn't remember anything after that. 

_______________________

I woke up in a bed, tied down by harsh, biting zip-ties. There was duct tape on my mouth. My head was still fuzzy, and my eyes took their time to adjust. Once they did, I saw that I was in some sort of bedroom. A door was to my left, and another door was in front of me. There was a window to my right, but it was covered with thick, black paint. Bars were placed in front of it so I couldn't escape. 

If I could get out of these ties maybe I could get the bars to budge. They look old.

I tugged at my restraints for a good, long while, tears pricked my eyes in fear. My leg burned from where I was stabbed, and I could feel some sort of bandage on it. 

After what felt like an eternity, the door to my left opened, bathing the room in cold, painful light. I squinted at the intrusion.