[Chapter Five]

When Malik woke I pretended to be asleep, listening as he moved about the room. His footsteps were light, despite his height, and I wondered if his quiet movements were a practiced art or normal for him. There was the rustle of material as he donned his clothes, followed by the creak of wood as the window was opened.

"Cora." He said quietly, "Cora, wake up." A soft hand shook my shoulder and I jerked away, the cold touch a shock on my bare arm. I turned to see him watching me with those bottomless grey eyes, his black cloak buckled up to throat. He threw me my own cloak, thankfully now dry, and waited for me to get dressed.

"Thanks to your little escapade yesterday," Malik sighed, standing by the window, "We've lost a lot of time I would rather have spent researching the area." He ran a hand through his hair, looking down at the street below. "But, we can't help that now. We have to be at the border into District Two by this evening. We've got a fair bit of ground to cover, so let's get going."

He led the way downstairs and out onto the street were dim sunshine was trying to pierce through the cloud cover. Malik strode off without another word, his long legs matching two of my own strides. I had to jog to catch up with him.

"So, where are we meeting Nathan?" I asked, feeling a small thrill inside me at my brother's name. it had been so long; I wasn't sure if I wanted to see him again or not.

"We're not meeting Nathan." Malik said quietly, stepping around a puddle, "He's too busy commanding his rebels. No, he's sending us a guide."

"Why do we need a guide? Don't you know where they're hiding?" I tried, stomping right through the puddle. I was wearing heavy, leather boots, and though they hadn't kept my feet dry the previous night, they did so now.

"Could you please be quieter?" Malik growled, casting me a short glare, "There may not be many civilians around here, but this district is gang territory." he picked up his pace. "And of course I know where they're hiding. But if we showed up on their doorstep without a guide to show us the way we would probably only create more fear."

"Why?"

"Wouldn't you be concerned if your only safe haven was easily discovered by a couple of complete strangers?" Malik hissed. He was about to go on when suddenly he froze, every muscle coiled.

"What is it?" I whispered, feeling my own body seize up in anticipation. I glanced around us, up at the empty windows of each building, fearful that I would see pale faces glaring down.

"Someone is coming." Malik breathed. He took a silent step backwards until his shoulders were in line with mine. "Move quietly to that alley over there." he ordered.

"What? Why?" I asked, "What are you going to do?"

"Just do It." he growled, eyes flashing, "And don't let them know you're there." I finally relented, hurrying over the alley entrance as quietly as I could. Malik remained out in the middle of the street, one hand in his coat pocket, the other hanging by his side. He cast me a quick glance, checking I was out of sight, and gave a small nod before facing forwards again.

Voices drifted into existence, as what sounded like two men laughing came close. I stiffened, pushing myself up against the alley wall, and pulled my cloak tighter around me. I felt a small, hard object in my own pocket and reached in to find a small silver rod. Curiosity bloomed briefly as I held it in my hand. But as the men came closer their voices halted and caution took its place. Movement caught my eye and I looked up to see Malik take a step forwards, an easy smile falling onto his lips.

"Gentlemen," he said pleasantly, his hand still in his pocket. The unseen men didn't answer, though I heard the sound of weapons being drawn. "Now, now," Malik sighed, "there is no need for that." he took a few steps backwards, a hand up in submission.