[Chapter Seventeen]

I jerked awake, and in that first moment of consciousness every fragment of pain ripped through me like a ferocious storm.

About time, Cora!

The words drifting through the storm, a gentle breeze amongst gale winds. I recognised the voice.

"Dust?" I groaned as I spoke, feeling the dried blood caked to my skin crack. I didn't open my eyes, didn't want to open them, afraid of what I would see when I looked down at myself. I should've healed by now, surely? And yet the agony that burned through my bones and sinew screamed the opposite.

I was worried you weren't going to wake. Dust cried, and I felt soft feathers brush against my neck. Blinking my eyes open I saw a dark sky above me. It was still night – how long had I been sleeping? I turned my stiff neck to see his small body beside me, piercing black eyes watching me.

"Dust?" I mumbled again, disorientated, "Dust what are you doing here?"

Malik sent me.

"What?"

He summoned me to watch you. And good thing too.

"Go get him for me." I whispered, trying to move my limbs, and feeling pain crackle along them, "Please... I... I need him." Dust shook his small head, and let out a fierce cry.

It's too late for that, Cora. He urged, you need to move!

"I can't..." I whimpered, feeling tears creep up on me, "It hurts... Dust, it hurts."

Cora, men are coming. Bad men. I will not be able to get Malik in time.

"Men?" I asked.

Yes. Men. Dust cawed again, and nudged me with his beak, Cora, move. At least hide. He nudged me again, and I rolled onto my stomach, falling limp as fresh torture rolled over me in a savage wave. For a moment I lay still, warring with myself. I had to get up, I had to get moving.

Cora, hurry!

"I'm trying!" I snapped, anger bursting through the pain, and I forced myself onto my knees.

I will bring Malik to you. Dust let out a piercing cry as he dove into the air, circling above me, you must hide.

"I can't leave her." I said, eyes falling on Eris. She was probably dead by now, but I had to make sure.

Cora, we don't have the time. I ignored Dust's warnings, and crawled over to Eris, watching her chest for movement. She didn't seem to be breathing. No, no... yes! There it was, ever so slightly. She was alive.

"Eris!" I cried, grabbing her shoulders, "Eris, wake up!"

Cora, leave her. It's too late.

"I'm not leaving her!" I snarled, shaking her, "Wake. The. Fuck. Up." Though pain had become my now constant companion, anger and fear were fuelling me. She moaned, but didn't wake, and I felt frustration burst inside of me. If I wasn't injured it could probably have carried her, but at this point I could barely support my own weight, let along another person's.

Do what you must, Cora. Dust cawed, and he swooped overhead, I will bring Malik to you. He disappeared over the nearby buildings, and I felt the fear intensify without his presence. Men were coming – whether for us specifically or not. I glared at Eris, furious that she wouldn't wake, and even more worried because of it. I wondered how much longer she would live if I couldn't get her assistance.