Chapter 8

*Anusha Pov*

I am definitely going to fail! I thought, staring at these two women who is behaving like I took some tonic and became invisible.

I cleared my throat entering the kitchen and finally mumbled, "Uhm... Aunty!"

"What is it?" Bhabhi asked and I turned to stare at her with a smile even though she has a very impatient expression.

"Can I help?" I asked and aunty immediately replied with a 'No!'

Well, that went too well and now what else can I do. But then I can't live with the people who don't like me with peace, right.

Well, if a client says the same thing what would you do, Anu? I asked myself and nodded to myself thinking of this solution.

"I want to help and learn the things." I said not backing down and finally I was given a set of carrots to peel before they turned back to their works.

Aunty continued to clean the utensils, making me frown and I asked calmly, "Isn't there a maid?"

"Mom doesn't like outside people involving in house matters much. So, the help is for the work outside the house only." Bhabhi replied and stared at me.

When Aunty sighed, I realized they are communicating like still an outsider entered their place now and they can't do anything about it. No! You are thinking too negatively, Anu.

After five minutes the question the revolved in my head was, what have I got myself into? The peel is not at all coming no matter how many times I am trying.

"Like this!" Bhabhi said, moving my hand and I glanced at her to thank but saw that she is trying not to laugh at me.

"This is my first time in the kitchen." I explained and she looked surprised.

"First time? What were you doing all these years? Didn't your Mom say anything?" she asked curiously.

"Err... I used to go to work on holidays as part time and then after college, I joined internship and proper job." I explained not wishing to talk about Mom's cooking skills.

"Your Mom was fine with it?" she asked frowning.

"Actually, Mom was also busy with charities and then some other stuff." I replied feeling uncomfortable.

"Never thought such Moms are there." She commented, shaking her head in complete against with whatever My Mom and I was doing.

"My Mom would think the same about what is happening here." I commented back feeling angry for my Mom's sake.

"Manvi! Don't you see there is work here and you are spending it with unnecessary words?" Aunty's voice reached us breaking the glare of Bhabhi.

"Bhabhi!" I called her, hoping she didn't take my words to heart.

"It's Manvi for you." Saying that she walked off towards Aunty.

I frowned but continued to peel now that she showed me how to do it and finally I sighed in relief before turning around to see both of them near the stove.

"Here!" I said, showing the peeled carrots.

"We prepared another curry." Manvi said, showing the dish on the stove making me frown.

"Then these?" I asked, gesturing the peeled ones.

"We couldn't wait until you finished, Anusha. Within a few minutes the carriage needs to be prepared to take it to the company." She explained and I stepped back.

Well, she is not wrong because I really took too much time. However, she should have told me that before only.

I glanced at the carrots thinking I need not let my work get wasted here. I immediately smiled and washed them and took a knife before reaching the kitchen platform.