59. Friends

Midas blinked and stared at the odd array of items arranged at the end of his bed. He glanced up at those who called themselves his friends and teammates. They nodded and motioned for him to take a look.

Midas turned his attention back to the items. First, he read the fliers, the first one advertising a club and the second announcing a 'dress-like-a-villain' day. "Did you guys make these?" he asked.

    "I did," Sam said. "But you drew the mask on the yellow one."

    Midas frowned, but nodded and continued. He glossed over the duct tape and the broom and moved on to the cup of mints. He took one, examined it for a moment, and then, to the surprise of the SVE club, popped it into his mouth. He noticed their faces. "What?" he asked.

"Um," Sam said, "You... you used to hate mint."

Midas made a face. "Really? I mean, I don't think it's my favorite, but... it's not bad."

He moved on to the mask. He picked it up and turned it over in his hands. "So this was mine, huh?"

"Still is," Evan said. "If you want it, that is."

"Hm." Midas held it up to his face and looked through the eye holes.

"Hey," Rachel said suddenly, "You should put it on." The others agreed.

Midas shrugged and placed the mask on his face. He looked around and kept touching the bridge of his nose. He suddenly wrinkled his nose and looked away, as if irritated.

"Anything?" Sam asked hopefully.

"I feel..." Midas said. He frowned. "Stupid." He took off the mask and put it with the rest of the items. "Maybe you guys are wasting your time."

"What are you talking about? We can't give up yet," Taro said. "We're gonna help you remember, Midas."

Midas sighed and grimaced. "Look, you all seem really nice, and I thought I wanted to do this..."

"But?" Rachel prompted, crossing her arms.

"But I'm not so sure anymore," Midas admitted. "I mean, I used to go around wearing that?" He pointed to the mask. "What... what kind of a person was I? Is my old life even worth remembering?"

"It is," Sam assured him. "And the mask wasn't your choice. It's a long story, but you were forced to wear it."

Midas looked angry all of a sudden. "Is that supposed to make me feel better?" he asked in disbelief.

"I only meant that it's not the kind of person you are," Sam said.

    "The kind of person who wears a mask and the kind of person who can be forced to wear a mask essentially become the same thing," Midas said, getting exasperated. "What was I doing? Or is that a 'long story' too?"

    "To be honest, I don't know much about what you were doing before you came to our school," Sam said. "But you've got to believe me, Midas, you're not a bad person."

"See? How can I believe you?" Midas questioned. "When you won't tell me anything?"

"Please, Midas," Sam said, stepping forward a putting a hand on his shoulder. "We'll try to explain. But we won't get anywhere if you don't trust us."

Midas recoiled from her touch. He shook his head slowly. "I don't know you. I don't know any of you." He stood up and backed away from them. "This... this was a mistake. You need to leave."