⊰23⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 12

"The water is so clear!" Sophia giggles while taking her shoes and socks off, dipping her feet into the water. The sounds the waterfall makes hitting the water has me entranced as I stand a few feet away from the edge, Holden also lingering beside me. The three warriors are spaced out around the area, listening and watching, their attention set to everything but what we're admiring.

Seth decides to continue climbing trees while Fawn is off walking around the edge of the lake. Taron turns to Sophia and asks, "How about a swim then?"

She gives him this weird look and says, "Uh, we didn't bring bathing suits."

"So?" He laughs at how the spontaneity is lost on her. Shaking his head, Holden decides to kick off his boots and to take off his shirt and throw it to the ground before pulling his jeans off. Left in his boxers, Holden grins while he's about ready to take the offer of going swimming himself.

Sophia gasps, "What are-"

A second later, Holden runs back away from the lake before turning right around and then sprinting to the water's edge. He yells before propelling himself into the air, the water spraying everywhere including...getting Sophia wet.

She screams and moves back away from the water, frowning before she glares at Holden when he resurfaces, "My new clothes are all ruined because of you!"

Holden laughs, "Then take them off!"

"It's just a little water..." Taron appears to be irritated while also simmering her down.

"I'm not swimming in my bra and panties," she snips back while glaring daggers.

Rolling my eyes, I breathe out, "How is that any more coverage than a bikini?"

Ridge snorts a laugh while I receive a surprised look from Sophia. She continues to stare at me and then laughs, "Alright...then why don't you go swimming in your bra and panties."

The water is beautiful to look at...

...even in my bathtub I hardly feel safe. The water is beautiful and alluring, but what comes from me shrinking down below the surface scares me more than any heights.

The way Taron's muscles stiffen at Sophia's words makes me more uneasy, and I shake my head and take a step back away. Sophia arches a brow and says, "Uh-huh, that's what I thought."

Ridge moves forward a bit and releases a sigh, kicking off his boots before he takes his shirt off. Sophia rolls her eyes when he takes his jeans off and steps out of them leaving him in his boxers. He takes a few steps backward as I know he's getting ready to charge in like Holden had prior, Sophia taking even more steps away, so her clothes won't get any more 'ruined.'

When he should have run right past me...

...that doesn't happen. Instead, my eyes widen when I feel arms around my waist. I'm lifted off my feet and into the air against his chest as Ridge moves us both to the edge of the water before he launches us into the air. A scream is ripped from my lungs before I feel the cold water surround me as I sink under the surface.

My heart beats extremely fast, my eyes frantically glancing around me. Ridge is in front of me, a grin on his face while bubbles drift up to the surface. I try to calm myself...there's nothing wrong with the water...there's nothing wrong.

He lifts his chin and kicks up to the surface. Out of the corner of my eye, I see it...

...purple tendrils extend from the farthest reaches of the lake.