⊰85⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 18

I never want to leave this blanket of warmth.

I feel Lailoken's chest rising and falling steadily beneath my cheek, feeling his hand lacing through the strands of my hair as he gently strokes it. When I slowly open my eyes, I see one of his knees his bent beneath the covers, a large tablet resting against it. His fingers with his free hand tap against the screen, shapes, pictures and many areas popping up and then shifting around on the screen.

Lailoken kisses the top of my head as he already knows I'm awake, asking me, "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes," I breathe out, my fingertips tracing over his pecs as I see him tapping on something and it shows an overview of remote areas I've never even seen in this world. Furrowing my brows with confusion, I also realize how quiet it is. In fact...

...it was quiet last night too, aside from the two of us, it felt like...

"Lailoken?" I ask him gently and he shifts slightly beneath my touch.

"Yes?" He asks in return, tapping another space on the screen and sending another aerial view into the center of it.

I'm hesitant, my heart beating fast as I ask him, "I...where are..." once again, I feel like even if I ask a question, I'll be lied to...

"We're the only ones here, Acacia," Lailoken notices the way I waiver and he continues to explain, "after I saw your blood memories, I had everyone in my pack who weren't stationed at Elysium, to search anew for those we now know..." his voice trails off as he releases what sounds like a frustrated sigh. He clears his throat and states, "Your parents never informed us of who the marks had committed their crimes against, perhaps wanting to save face that it was royals...but now that I know that they were the ones to hurt you, my mate...they're not going to stop hunting for them."

My heart stops in my chest, my breathing uneven as I ask, "What's this?"

"I'm scanning for activity in areas that are remote and hardly used," he pauses after tapping on another part of the screen before he states, "I saw in your blood memories...you were taken somewhere. Somewhere off the grid and though you were blindfolded, I hoped to form a structure matching the one you saw entering it."

This man...

...the lengths he's going to...for me...

"I haven't had any such luck though," he sighs again, closing out of the many screens before he shuts the tablet off. Lailoken sets it on the bedside table next to him, turning back toward me before wrapping his arm around me. He hugs me, breathing in my scent before he whispers, "They will be caught and they will face the punishment for their crimes...I promise you."

Promises.

Lailoken has already made so many...yet he says he never breaks one.

Curious...

"Lailoken...you told me about how Taron will either mark or reject me completely..." there are many questions on my mind, ones I want answers to that are honest, "...how is it that I have multiple mates...yet I'm no hybrid?"

"You are," he chuckles, holding me close to him.

Shaking my head, I question, "Dormant?"

"No," his voice is firm. Lailoken is quiet for a moment before he murmurs, "If only you can see what I see..."

I don't quite understand what he means, but I try now with another thought that's been swirling in my head while falling asleep last night. I've never even stopped for a moment to ask him about his mate...his beloved...he bears no marks that he's been claimed...what about his hybrid mate?