Chapter 3

It was dark out. I looked around me but everything was just pitch black. But suddenly a bright light ahead of me appeared. Against my will my legs began moving into the direction the light was coming from. I built up speed somehow and before I knew it I burst through the blinding light. I don't know what was happening but I felt this strange sensation take over my body. I couldn't describe how it felt but it didn't feel good or bad. It just felt weird.

And then I was falling. I didn't have enough time to think about this. But all of a sudden I was thrust into the middle of the clearing where we held the meeting. The things I was seeing at the moment was horrible. My pack was being slaughtered as more wolves from the enemy side surrounded us. A dark brown wolf leaped out and in a blink of an eye a much darker and larger wolf launched itself at the brown wolf . I wanted everything to stop but my body was keeping me there as if I needed to see this.

Everything happened in slow motion. One second I'm watching the fight the next a large brown wolf appears out of nowhere and from the power radiating off of this wolf, I could clearly tell it was an Alpha. I squinted trying to make out who it was but I wasn't able to see. But for some reason I had a feeling it was Alpha Brayton. Suddenly an almost larger wolf with pitch black hair appears too. From the power radiating off from this wolf you could tell this was an Alpha too. I didn't know who this was though.

The pitch black wolf was growling at Alpha Brayton and vice versa. For some odd reason I knew what was about to come. I opened my mouth trying to shout a warning at Alpha Brayton but I wasn't able to. I had to watch this. Just as they both charged at each other a bright light appeared again.

I woke up panting in my bed. I was covered in sweat and my heart was pounding. I glanced at the time on the bedside table and slumped back into the bed. It was two-thirty in the morning. I put my hand to my sweaty forehead wiping sweat away.

I sighed as I got up to get a cold glass of water. I stumbled down the stairs and inwardly I repeatedly slapped my head. My parents might have woke up already. I confirmed this as I heard heavy footsteps heading to the door from my parents bedroom. I figured out it was my dad but instead of calling out for me he did it mentally.

Annabel?

Of course it is, who do you think it is Goldilocks? I'm almost one hundred percent sure he chuckled.

Go to sleep, he demands. And watch your attitude young lady.

I need water, I tell him feeling guilty about my sarcastic words. I should bite back a bit more. I'm sorry Dad.

He walked back to his bed with a slight chuckle. I continued my way down the stairs thankfully wide awake now. I grabbed a cup from the cabinet and filled it up with cold water. I gulped it down without a second thought. I glanced at the window when something from a far caught my eye. From where I was standing I couldn't tell what it was but I decided to check it out.

As I stepped out the house my wolf began pacing relentlessly.

What's wrong? I ask her.

Something is not right. Her pacing increases as I observe the area.

What do you mean?

She doesn't answer me which made me anxious. Everything she said was always true so when she went mysteriously quiet I felt as if this was really important. I closed the door behind me waiting for a moment to hear if my dad will call me back up.

When he doesn't, I continue my way towards -well I didn't know what lay ahead of me but I was determined to find out. My wolf couldn't stop pacing as I walked forward. Every step I took she let out a whimper. I let out an exasperated sigh but stopped by the time I reached the outside of the pack village. I was nearing the border which made me nervous.