Chapter five

I looked at Sebastian in shock, his had a gash running under his eye which was inflamed and swollen. He looked so crestfallen I was almost afraid to speak up.

"Was it Jaxon?" It wasn't me who had phrased the question, but Luka and I waited for a response.

"I couldn't see, I.." he stopped mid sentence, his lip quivering as he lost control of his emotions. His eyes filled with tears and they began to leak down his face but he rubbed them away with aggression.

I wrapped my arms around him and he leaned into me. I could feel his tear stains against my white shirt but it didn't bother me.

"It's gonna be okay Seb." I said, trying to muster up as much credibility as I could. I wasn't sure if I was trying to convince myself or him.

"My dad.." He choked just as the door opened and the principal stepped into the room.

"If you'll please join me Mr Goddard," he said referring to Sebastien. His eyes held a certain amount of uncomfort as if he sensed what was about to play out.

I got up to follow him but the principal gave me a stern glance. "Alone, if you please."

I sighed, stepping back as Sebastian hobbled out of the room. The image of him clambering out like an injured soldier was imprinted in my mind.

He turned towards us and I didn't miss the fear and despair hidden behind his eyes. He tried his best to smile but it looked like a grimace at best.

"I'll see you guys later." He said softly before following the principal out of the room.

—-/

I sat with Luka in English, watching the clock tick past painfully slow. There was no sign of Angie, her seat was empty.

Dean turned to us from the seat in front, he still seemed agitated with the whole situation and it came across in the way he spoke.

"Where's Sebastian. And Angie, she's in this class isn't she?"

I nervously flicked my wrist, as Luka tossed me an apprehensive side glance. Nobody wanted to tell him.

"Dean, he's in the principals office with his Dad. Someone jumped him outside the art room and beat him up pretty badly."

Something like shock ran through his eyes followed by denial.

"Do you know who did it?"

I shook my head and he stiffened, turning back to his seat. I noticed the way his grip around his pencil tightened considerably. His knuckles began to turn an unnerving white as a loud snap echoed throughout the room.

People turned to stare at him as he discarded the broken pen and put his head down on the table. The teacher spared him a second glance but said nothing.

——-

"It's been brought to my attention that a fight broke out Saturday night outside of school grounds and this is linked to that."

Sebastian's hands felt clammy as his breath began to quicken considerably. His father tossed his a side glance, straightening his sleek grey suit as he cleared his throat before speaking.

"I find it very hard to believe that my son would be engaged in that kind of activity."

Sebastian wanted to roll his eyes at that comment, of course his parents would be completely oblivious to anything he ever did. Well okay, he didn't actually go out and fight people but if he did his parents would be in denial from the very start.

He knew they'd react the same, probably a lot worse if they learned about his sexuality.

He had to do something, prevent them for finding out.