Chapter 11

Luka got home that afternoon to an empty house, per usual. Her body felt drained, a deep set exhaustion she had never experienced. She knew she should start on her work but she collapsed onto her bed the second she reached it. The sheets engulfed her as she fell into a dreamless sleep.

She woke hours later, her hair a mess and her mind even worse. She couldn't fix the distorted sequence of thoughts in her mind and she mentally groaned at the thought of tackling the work load she normally takes on daily, she hadn't even started her homework and it was ticking onto half past seven in the evening, not to mention the two hours she would put into studying after that.

Her stomach growled and she flushed, guessing it would have to wait until after she got some food. Begrudgingly she pattered downstairs and the maid, katarina, gave her a timid smile.

"Have you finished your studying Luka?" The wrinkles around her eyes crinkled as her dark blue eyes glittered. Luka's stomach sank as she offered her a nod. Luka didn't want to admit she'd spent the last hour and a half lazing around, that's not what people who were aiming for Ivy League schools did. Not to mention that she had papers due and that history project for this Friday. She sighed, as Katarina placed a plate of food before her.

"Are you okay dear? How are you handling everything?"

Katarina has also been upset when she heard of what had happened to Sebastian, she loved him too. Everyone loved him, how could you not? He radiated positivity, he was always smiling and joking, he was polite and funny and overall a really great person. Katarina used to cook him French dishes when he came over and the cookies he loved so much.

Luka shrugged in response. "I'm okay." Katarina nodded absentmindedly, knowing she was far from it. It had been mainly Katarina who raised Luka and her brother while her parents were away for work. There was always another meeting and somebody more important than their children.

"Nasty story altogether, that boy had enough to deal with without people targeting him for something like that." Katarina knew that Sebastian was gay, she never judged him for it, instead ran in with her old retro magazines insisting she'd show him the heartthrobs of her generation.

Luka shrugged in response as Katarina sent her a small sideways glance.

"The boy who did that, did you know him before?"

Luka timidly shook her head. "I knew him when I first started school, we were even friends at one point."

She remembered when Jaxon has first started, he was a quiet kid who kept his head down. She had been friends with him, that time seemed so long ago now, back in simpler times where they would just be childish and not worry about their future. He distanced himself from her and began to change gradually, society forged him into an entirely different person, it seemed. Gone was his easy, carefree smile and friendliness. He had found a new companionship with arrogance and conceit.

Finally, she decided she should pay attention to her work. One day was fine, one day was normal. She was grieving, her friend had died. She understood, Yale would understand, her future would understand.

But it would not wait.

——-

She arrived to school that next morning and to her despair, neither of her friends were there. She grabbed her books from her locker and made her way to class.

Her History teacher tossed her a worried smile as she entered the room and sat down. Of course, all her teachers were worried, she was one of their prized students, one that listened and absorbed and always did exceptionally well, one that would make them look good if she scored exceptionally high.

"Have you started on your essay yet?" He asked her, as she glanced around the empty room, nobody had arrived yet.

"Yeah, I'm falling a little behind though."

That was a lie, she hadn't started and she also hadn't ever lied to a teacher. She almost felt disgusted with herself, not about the actual lying part but about not feeling even slightly bad. It's fine, everyone else does it, she thought.

He gave her a sad smile. "That's understandable, I can give you an extension if needed."

She clenched her fists and gave him a weak smile.

Angie hurried into her history class, she wasn't late but most of the class had already arrived. She spotted Luka and made her way towards the table, dropping her bag beside it as she threw herself in the seat.

"Hey, I haven't heard from Dalia since yesterday in school. Have you?"

Luka felt guilt grip her heart, she hadn't even thought of her friends she had been so consumed in her own thoughts.

"No, not since yesterday. I'm sure she's okay."

Angie gave her a hesitant look before the teacher started the lesson.

At lunch, Dalia was still absent and Luka and Angie ate in silence in the art classroom, until Angie finally decided to spin an idea.

"Dean knows." She stated blatantly and Luka nodded in agreement.

"I realize this, I also realize that he isn't going to tell us."

The door to the cold storage opened behind them and a familiar mob of cherry red hair slipped out.

"There are ways to get answers without asking him."  Karma shrugged, his piece of advice leaving a heavy feeling in the atmosphere.

Angie frowned, giving him an annoyed glance.

"It's rude to eavesdrop, and what were you doing in there anyway?" She asked, motioning towards the storage room, where they kept their art portfolios.

"I'm just trying to catch up on my project, you guys are more up to date than my old school." He shrugged and tossed them a wave as he began to walk to the door.

"Who are we suppose to ask then?" Angie snapped, tossing him a harsh glare. His back was turned to her and he didn't turn around to meet her burning gaze as he responded.

"You're only considering one person of that party."

The remarks fell short on Angie's tongue as she thought about his words, realization dawning on her.

"You mean Jaxon?" Luka stuttered In surprise, but he was gone before he could confirm it.

——