Chapter-31 : Palpitations

Shayba's P.O.V.

"So here's when I'll come...."I cleared my throat pretending to hold an imaginary microphone in my hand, "Reverend Chief guest Mr. Ban Akihiko, our honourable home minister A.K. Sinha, respected guests, revered teachers and my dear students, Assalamu Alaikum and wish you all a very warm evening." I announced the crammed part.

"Louder."Zawad Sir stated from aside.
I nodded and continued with my slides in the rehearsal. Some of my friends and the CRs are sitting in front of me judging my presentation as well as the tone of voice while Zawad Sir kept instructing me, "Mmhmm. Not so fast. Go slow."

"Got it."I did exactly as he advised. I am not used to be upon the stage. As I never once participated in plays in my childhood, neither sang nor danced, I was never used to have the spotlight on me. Well, except taking prizes for standing first in the examination. But today is different. I am going to handle a big task in front of national and international guests. That's a monstrous responsibility. I can't stammer, I can't tremble. I just need to be focused and jovial enough for my guests to give them a clear cut idea of this country and this campus.

"Shayba, come here." suddenly Zawad Sir called.
"Huh? Yes sir?"I walked to him pausing my rehearsal.
"Listen, whatever you are doing, is not up to the mark. You have to make it a bit more lively and communicative. You are representing the architecture department of the country's best university. So be a little bit upbeat, okay?"
"Yeah sir. I got this."
"Remember, as no one is going to see your face through this veil, if you proceed in the typical, mainstream way, it will be boring. Don't mind me but people want only visualized beauty Shayba. They are used to see pretty dolled up girls on the stage. As you are different, you have to use your brain to make it more brink and interesting. You understand what I mean, right?"
"Yeah sir."I replied, now being quite disheartened. The type of girls he is talking about, from no angle do I resemble them. But I don't understand, why would people need to see ME instead of the slides I'm showing?!
"Don't mind Shayba. Show them what you can do and what you've got in that brain."he said smilingly pointing his index at his head. "Show them how we got the silver medal in France. Now go. Do it again from the start."
Argh! Again?
I nodded and returned to my place. He is right. I need to show everyone that as a Muslimah, yes I cover my body and face but my brain is still in use. The world must know and learn to appreciate our contribution too. They must realize that all girls in burqa are not cornered at home without any opportunity of higher education.

I resumed from the beginning once again and after a whole long hour, the rehearsal was called a day. Alhumdulillah! Thanking everyone, I came out and prepared to get all other chores done.

And thus one week passed in a blink in exercising. We all have been quite skilled by now in our own sectors. At home, I practised standing in front of the mirror again and again regardless of Annaba and Bhaiya's unreasonable laughter. As I seriously didn't have time to altercate, I avoided them as much as I could. Anyhow I have to step out of my comfort zone to defend my prestige.

Today, being the first ever presentation of my life, I chose to wear my light cream pink abaya with a matching scarf. As I will be using this scarf to hide my face, so I don't need an extra niqab. I left using extra piece of veil ever since I went on that unlucky, omened picnic. I can't forget how embarrassed I was that day!

This abaya is one of my most favourite attires, so I took out my rose gold watch, bracelet and brooch to make my look a bit elegant tonight. After all, it's a grand event and I am not going to put any makeup on except my everyday lip balm. The tube of eyeliner was sparkling in my drawer enticing me to pick it up at once and smear it over my eyes. But I hardly resisted myself from doing that in fear of fitnah.