Chapter 26/ A special Offer

Chapter 26

Kurumu spent a couple hours relating everything she had found out to him. Unfortunately she did not have as much information on Akatsuki as he would have hoped. Apparently despite much effort the organization remained largely a mystery. Jiraiya had no idea who their leader was, what its goals were, or event the reason why they had acquired the demon lords. Among the things that were known was the fact they seemed to operate in two man teams made up of ninja of A or S rank. Despite the fact they were a secret organization they seemed to have a, 'uniform.' Its members usually went out dressed in black robes with red clouds on them. Only a few of the members were known including Deidara, Kisame, and (most alarming) Uchiha Itachi. Naruto had still been in the village when the Uchiha massacre had occurred. Any ninja that could single handedly exterminate an entire clan was definitely someone to be wary of.

Kurumu also gave him other pieces of information. Such as the fact his village had been at war for the last four years. One of the reasons the Hokage was so eager to recall him was his hope that Naruto would be the, 'secret weapon' that would finally bring the war to a victorious conclusion. He also learned that it had been Orochimaru who had killed the Third Hokage. Naruto made a special point to file that information away.

"That's everything I was able to find out." Kurumu looked at him. "Did it help?"

"Are you kidding me? It helps a whole lot. I haven't heard a thing from my village for the last four years. Now thanks to you I have a whole lot of valuable info. Including the little fact that there's an organization of elite ninja looking for me." He gave her an appreciative nod. "I truly thank you for helping me Kurumu, especially since you had no reason to."

"It's all right. Even though I know you can't forgive me I'll still do whatever I can to help you. If you ever need me all you have to do is let me know. I'll go ahead and leave now." She was about to go when Naruto surprised her. He reached out and took hold of her. He pulled her close and squeezed her tight. There was nothing sexual in the embrace. It was just his way of expressing his genuine appreciation of what she'd done for him. She had never been held so strongly, had never been so happy just to feel the simple physical connection. He did not say the words, but as he held her it felt as though he were forgiving her, at least a little. She shut her eyes and simply enjoyed the feeling. Naruto-kun, I would walk through fire for you.

"Thank you," he whispered to her as he finally let her go.

She nodded and put her head down. She turned to the window and let her wings and tail emerge. "Naruto?"

"Yes?"

She did not turn around. "Those boys I hang out with. You know they don't matter to me right? They're fun and a distraction, but nothing more. I could never love any of them."

He suddenly felt a little warm and a little nervous. Why did she tell me that? "Kurumu I…"

"You don't have to say anything Naruto. I just wanted to make sure you knew. Good night." She leapt out the window and was soon gone from sight.

XXXXXXXXXX

The following morning Naruto was there as Jiraiya exited his room.

"Good morning godfather," Naruto called in a cheery voice. "Sleep well?"

Jiraiya looked very uncomfortable. "Please don't call me that. I think I'd rather you went back to just calling me a pervert."

"Why? Does it bother you being reminded of the responsibility you ignored? Here," he handed Jiraiya a sealed envelope. "Please deliver that to the Hokage."

"What is it?" Jiraiya looked at the thing suspiciously.

"It's a formal rejection of his request that I marry his daughter."