Chapter 9: Katie Gets Sam Mad

Recap: I sat down at our table and what to my wondering ears should hear? "Hello, freak." Katie.

CHAPTER 9: Katie Gets Sam Mad

I turned my head slowly, wishing her away. "So Katie, didn't get enough of me this morning?" If I'm going to talk to her, I'm going to be as sarcastic and annoying as possible. I looked around me, Val, Tom, Sam and Mick were already sitting at the table. Apparently confused and a little angry at the fact that Katie was sitting here. "Hi, guys." I said. This earned me a series of mumbled 'hi's and a few nodded heads in my direction.

"Wait, you guys spoke this morning?" Good god Sam. Why? Katie turned on a rather sugary smile.

"Yes Samantha, it's called a conversation," She said, stretching the word conversation and talking like Sam was a three year old. "just because you're a blond bimbo doesn't mean we all are." As you can imagine, Sam didn't take this too well.

"Oh, you really wanna start this?" Sam asked, menace dancing in her eyes and voice. "At least, AT LEAST, I don't prance around in a skirt that, really, doesn't leave much to the imagination, AT LEAST, I have a sense of dignity, AT LEAST I don't terrorize people," Sam's voice was raising and she looked angry, angrier then I'd ever seen her, "AT LEAST I don't think shaking my ass is the most important thing ever, AT LEAST, AT LEAST, I am not a BITCH!" Sam had yelled the last word and on that, all heads swiveled towards her, if they hadn't been looking already. Sometime during her speech Sam had stood up. Now she flopped back to her seat, glaring at Katie across the table, Katie looked dumbstruck, Val, Tom, Mick and I looked awestruck.

Katie opened and closed her mouth like a fish, for once, at a loss for words. I resisted the urge to laugh. Tom didn't. The silent cafeteria suddenly rang out with Tom's laughter. I couldn't control myself, I joined him, laughing my head off. Everyone else stared at us as Katie picked herself up, brushed off her skirt and walked away. I'm pretty sure everyone was caught between, laughing, cheering and not moving.

I watched Katie leave the lunch room. The lunch room started to have the normal sounds again, talking and laughing, undoubtedly at Sam and Katie. The speaker turned on. "Attention students, Samantha Granite to the principal's office please." That's where Katie went. Sam picked up her stuff and left, her face dark with fury.

"Holy freakshow." Said Val. Jenna and Mel walked in, talking.

"Guys, why was Sam called into the office?" asked Jenna, baffled.

"We saw her on our way in, we said hi and she raised an eyebrow before walking away. She looked really mad." Mel continued.

"Holy fucking freakshow." Val repeated, "Katie sat down, said a few things, called Sam a blond bimbo, Sam said a few more things then called her a bitch. Tom and Faye laughed. Everyone else stared uncomfortably. By everyone, I mean the whole cafeteria. Katie left. I'm positive she told the principal and that's why Sam was called into the office." Val finished.

"It was funny," Tom said. I burst out laughing. I couldn't stop. To think, 6 minutes ago I was sitting on the bathroom floor, trying not to vomit. For the second time that lunch, all eyes were focused on our table. I stopped long enough to say,

"Really funny,"

"Ok then," That was Mel, "I'm gonna go get food." I don't know what they started to talk about but Mick and I stood up and followed Mel to the lunch line. I had stopped laughing by then and started to think about how I could apologize to Mel for this morning. Mick walked away, towards the salad bar, he refused to take his chances with the meal. Mel and I, on the other hand, found it amusing and ate it only because we had to. "Mel, about this morning," I started

"Don't." Mel said I was scared, she wasn't going to let me apologize was she?

"What? Mel, why won't you-"

"Look, Faye, I don't want to know, you don't want to tell me. I don't care. I over stepped the line and I'm sorry."

"You took the words right out of my mouth." Mel laughed and we hugged.

"Move it along girls, everyone wants lunch!" said the lunch lady. Mel and I looked at each other and as I saw the suppressed amusement shining in her eyes I knew we were ok, but as I saw the lingering traces of terror left over, I knew we wouldn't be back to how we used to for a long time.

Mick beat us to the table and I sat down where I was before, next to Mel and the empty seat Katie had been occupying. "So," Val whispered, "you and Mel ok?"

"How did you know about that?" I asked her, perplexed. Val smiled,

"It's my job to know, for the one who does not listen with their ears is the one who will not be listened to." I rolled my eyes, Val loves history and poetry and speaking like she's from a different time period.

"Seriously Val, how'd you know?"

"You seem to forget that Mel would've had to go past my locker to get to your's and then past it again a few minutes later, detached and angry."

"Huh, didn't think of that."

"I know you didn't." Val said, and winked. So I had a conversation with Val about this and that, mostly about riddles. One of the things I love about Val is that we always have different opinions about things. We talk a lot about 'what came first, the chicken or the egg?' or riddles. Valerie ALWAYS has riddles to tell me, like; there is a man who lives in a circle house. One day he was murdered and the police know one of his three maids did it. When they were questioned the first maid said "I was doing the dishes.", The second maid said "I was dusting the living room." and the third maid said "I was sweeping in the corner." Who killed him? Things like that.

Anyways, Val and I went on talking until I spotted Sam. Holy shit did she ever look mad. Let me tell you something. Sam is the nicest, most easy going girl I have ever met. PERSON I have ever met. She's amazing, I could never do that. Sam never swears. She grew up in a house hold that didn't tolerate swearing in the least. Whenever one of us swears Sam looks down to hide her smile.

When Sam called Katie a bitch, she had every right to because Katie is just a bitch that has never been called one. Everyone is terrified of Katie so they won't call her one. If I thought Katie was going to be called a bitch by someone, Sam wouldn't even make the list. That's why we were shocked when it happened. Getting Sam mad is impressive to say the least.

"Hey Sam," Jenna said cautiously, testing Sam's anger. The only answer Jenna got was a glare.

*********************************************************************************************

Picture of Val ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Long chapter for me, was it good? The answer to the riddle about the man who died is the third maid. You can't sweep in the corner in acircle house. Thanks for reading, enjoying it? Please vote, comment and keep reading.

-Jodi