Chapter 18: Actions & Reactions

Recap: Demetri kissed Faye, Faye hit him, Demetri asked if she still thought he was a hallucination.

CHAPTER 18: Actions & Reactions

I thought about laughing, crying, screaming, a snarky response, or even hitting him again. But I did none of them because none of them felt right.

Instead, I kissed him.

Demetri seemed surprised when my arms looped around his neck and I practically smashed my mouth against his, but his surprise melted away as he snaked his arms up my waist again. This time I knew how my thoughts would melt away, Demetri would be the only thing I was aware of and about how the air seemed to almost crackle around us. Knowing it, didn't make it any less amazing.

Pulling away, I looked up at him, he was smiling and I was too. "I just had to make sure." I whispered, trying to hold on to the moment. I didn't move my arms from his neck, I held on to Demetri as if I'd never let go.

"So, what do you think?" he asked, his arrogant little smile threatening to make an appearance. His fingers played with the back edge of my shirt, every once in awhile touching the skin underneath and making it hard to concentrate.

"I think, you must be real," I smiled, "or my hallucinations have just become shockingly vivid." Demetri laughed quietly.

Slowly, I unlooped my hands from his neck and gently took his hands off my waist, holding them for a second, in my own. My brain was skittering around randomly but I could think enough to realize that I should probably go to lunch before Mel and Sam started looking for me. Trust me, they would.

"Demetri,-" I started to say, but he shook his head, the motion confused me and I raised an eyebrow at him, unsure of what he was trying to communicate.

"I'll see you tonight." I didn't ask how or when or any number of questions that went along with that sentence, instead I just nodded at him. Out of nowhere Demetri grabbed my hand, squeezed it, looking like he wanted to say more but instead, dropped it. "Tonight." he said and walked through that invisible doorway that always seemed to be near by.

I sat on a desk. I couldn't believe that just happened, I couldn't believe Demetri was real and I couldn't believe that maybe the boundaries between the real and unreal were a lot looser then I thought. Demetri was definitely real and that made me undeniably happy for reasons I'd rather not explain. He had to be real, I'd felt him, solid and there, in other hallucinations I could only hear and see, obviously, I did more then that a second ago.

Real vs unreal, Demetri had disappeared through that invisible doorway of his meaning maybe things aren't what they seem. Maybe everything wasn't what it seemed. Maybe, I need to figure it out.

But not now, it was a too much for my brain to process at once so I stored it in my head and made a mental note to ask Demetri when I saw him next. Tonight, whispered a little voice in my head. When you see him tonight. I pushed it all to the side of my head and walked to lunch.

_____________________________________________________

About three minutes later I entered the cafeteria and managed to walk to my usual table without anyone looking up at my late entrance, unless you count my table, they saw me come in. "Why are you late?" was the first thing out of Sam's mouth when I dumped my bag into the empty seat between her and Jenna.

"Who cares? You can question her later, c'mon Faye, I've been waiting FOREVER to get lunch!" Mel said, pulling me towards the lunch line.

"Ok," I said, hands on my hips as we got into line. "What's up?" something had to be up based on what Mel had just said at the table. Mel rolled her eyes at me.

"What's up with me? What's up with you?!"

"What do you mean?" I asked, grabbing a tray.

"Faye! You know full well what I mean! First, you were late, you're NEVER late unless you skip and you never skip without Sam or I. Second, you're blushing ever so slightly. Thirdly, you've got that little look about you that says something happened." Mel said, demanding an answer.

"Seriously?" I asked, rolling my eyes to add to the effect.

"Faye. What. Happened. To. You." Mel said, looking expectantly.

"What do you think happened?"

"I kinda think you were with a guy." Damn. Sometimes I hate how well we know each other. "You know I'll find out."

"Then, IF there was something, there's no point in telling you." I said, smiling.

"Evil." was all Mel said. I could tell she wasn't about to let it drop completely, but for now she was done.

"I know." I said, laughing. So, on went lunch...

*************************************************************************

Comment, vote, keep reading.  Am I keeping it interesting? I can't tell. Who expected her to kiss him? My friend who's been reading over this book hates me because she couldn't predict it. She said it was morally wrong. Thanks for reading!

-Jodi