Chapter 25: Wait! Kids Watch That?

CHAPTER 25: WAIT! Kids Watch That?

Quite some time later, I was leaning against Demetri in the shade of one of the trees, one of his arms holding me against him. I was warm and unbelievably happy sitting there. Absent-mindedly, I grabbed my sketchbook, wanting to draw something happy so that I could always remember right now.

I took the pencil and opened to the page with the trees. I contemplated finishing it but before I could figure out exactly what I was going to do, Demetri's voice sounded in my ear, "It's beautiful." I blushed and flipped the book closed. Demetri's hand, the one that wasn't on me, came around and opened the book.

This is actually rather a sensitive point for me. I don't show my drawings to anyone, or talk about them. I try to keep them off the radar because I'm good without people knowing what goes on in my head. The only reason Sam and Mel know is because when I was younger I wasn't this protective and secretive of my work.

For some reason though, I didn't stop Demetri from opening it. I got this sketchbook a few months back and the first picture I'd ever drawn in this sketchbook. (Keep in mind I have quite a few sketchbooks.)

When I had drawn it, it had been me. There was a tree towering over me, and a slight wind blowing a few stray hairs here and there. I was sitting on top of a hill or, maybe it was a cliff, the sun was high in the sky, it was around mid-day. But since I'd drawn my back to the viewer, it wasn't obviously me.

Demetri looked through the whole book without saying a word, he studied each picture and the looks on his face made me smile. He looked at every picture all the way to the sketch of the trees. He closed the book and looked at me. "You," he said, "have achieved the impossible."

"How?" I asked, still smiling up at him.

"I can honestly say that I didn't think there was anyone more twisted then my dad." he murmured into my hair. I laughed quietly.

"That's me." I whispered.

"You're a great artist." Demetri said, looking into my eyes with his blue ones. I didn't want to talk about my drawings, I never really knew what to say in response. Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you looked at it, my phone started ringing with Sam's familiar ring-tone. I stood up and got my phone out of my bag.

"Hey Sam."

"Faye, the three of us are going to a movie, right now, no buts."

"I can't" I answered, glancing at Demetri.

"Are you with Demetri?" came Mel's voice, apparently she was with Sam. I glanced at Demetri again and he smiled lazily at me.

"Yes." I answered, seeing no point in lying.

"C'mon!" cried Sam.

"You're not gonna give up, are you?"

"Right you are," said Mel

"Okay," I said, tiredly "I'll be there in half an hour."

"Awesome, see you there!" said Sam cheerfully. I hung up. Demetri stood up and walked over to me. He lifted his eyebrows in a silent question.

"My two best friends, Sam and Mel," I explained. "they want me to meet them at the movies. Or rather, they're demanding I do."

"As much as you'd like to stay here with me," he said, arrogantly mocking me. "you have to go."

"More or less," I grinned and gathered my sketchbook and pencil, throwing them into my bag with my phone. Throwing it over my shoulder I turned back to Demetri. "Can you open a doorway to the graveyard for me? It's where I left my car."