Chapter 21: A Phone Call

CHAPTER 21: A Phone Call

"You can't be serious." I said, my disbelief obvious.

"Actually, I can and I am." Anna responded. "The magic runs through you. I don't know why it's you, I don't know how you ended up with that much magic but you have it."

"That's insane." my voice was borderline hysteric, it didn't sound very much like my voice anymore.

"Faye, do you still have the note I gave you?" Demetri's question caught me off guard and I swallowed a laugh that I'm sure would make everyone positive I was unstable. It's just too hard to process so much information at once. Demetri was looking at me and it took me a second to respond to the question.

"Yeah, I do"

"Give it to me." Anna seemed to know what was going on as she stood up.

"I'm going to go change my bandages." I glanced at her stomach but all I saw was red and my insides lurched at the thought of what the actual wound looked like. To distract myself I dug through my pockets for the note and handed it to Demetri just as the door closed behind Anna.

"You could read this?" He asked me.

"I'm here aren't I?" I paused. "Again, where is here, exactly?" Demetri acted like he hadn't heard my question and I resisted the urge to repeat it again and again until I got an answer.

"I didn't write this in English." Demetri said. I laughed but it was an empty, hollow laugh that held no joy.

"That's funny 'cause I read it in English." I said, a smile on my face but it felt as hollow as my laugh, equally joyless. Out of nowhere Demetri grabbed both my wrists and flipped them over so that the underside was showing.

On one wrist was a small tattoo. A silver crescent moon with a black flower inked partially in the empty space where the rest of the moon would've been, partially over the crescent. Demetri saw it and smirked. "Nice." he whispered without looking up. My face burned and I tried to wrench my wrists out of his grasp. Willingly, he let my tattooed wrist go but held on to the other one. "Look." I looked at my wrist, unsure what I was looking for. Whatever it was, I couldn't see it, all I saw was my skin.

"Oooh! Fascinating!" I gushed sarcastically. "The skin on my wrist!" Demetri muttered something under his breath that sounded a lot like 'sarcastic, untrained and impossible!' I could've laughed but I didn't know what he meant by untrained so I kept my mouth shut.

I watched as Demetri slid a finger over my exposed wrist. In that moment I realized how close we were sitting now. His touch was feather-light and as his finger passed over my skin something seemed to slide out of nowhere. I frowned at the mark, my brow furrowed as I tried to figure it out. Demetri's free hand reached out and unfurrowed my brow. It was an intimate gesture and I looked up at him in surprise, the mark on my wrist temporarily forgotten. "You look better smiling." Demetri said, as hs explanation. I blushed and looked back at my wrist so he couldn't see my reddening face.

The mark was an intricate tangle of dark black lines. It curved and looped seemingly without a pattern but the end result spoke to a deeper level of my conscious self with words of magic, hidden ability and a strength in supernatural. I couldn't figure out why the mark looked familiar or why the words that came to mind did. I turned back to Demetri. "What does it mean?"

"I think you know." I didn't answer because the idea that the mark was practically shouting words at me didn't make a lot of sense. Then again, neither did the mark. Demetri smiled knowingly as if he knew about the words running through my brain. "Means you have magic blood. Rather a lot of it based on the color." I didn't ask what he meant by that. Instead I went for the sarcastic response.