Chapter 14: Getting Lost & Meeting Again

CHAPTER 14: Getting Lost & Meeting Again

Wow, I thought, that was great. I was sure Demetri had been a hallucination. Right? The similarities between my hallucinations were interesting. Two guys, one old and meant to scare me, the other, young and... I'm not sure.

I found myself wondering at the hallucinations. They had both seemed so real. Undeniably so. But their locations and their ways of leaving led me to believe it was hallucinated.

I got up slowly, off my knees and bolted through the forest. Jumped in my car and drove over to Sam's. Her room faces my window and she saw my car and came downstairs. "I thought you had something going on today." I said as she climbed in.

"Yeah, it got canceled, I tried to call you, didn't reach you."

"You did?" I asked, surprised.

"Check your phone." I did and saw three missed calls.

"Wow."

"Was your phone turned off?" I checked it.

"No..."

"Hm... Oh well, you're here now, I HAD to get out of the house, mom and dad are fighting about divorce things." Sam rolled her eyes.

"Ouch."

"Poor ear drums," Sam said, "Hey, why are you even here if you didn't get my messages?"

"Oh, um..." I said, grasping at straws. "Do you know if anyone knows about The Place?"

"Don't think so," Sam said, confused, "Why?" I shrugged. Sam apparently had something on her mind and started to talk about something.

I went back to thinking about Demetri. He had been right there. Then he'd disappeared. I really didn't want him to be a hallucination. I thought he was interesting.

But if he wasn't a hallucination, that would mean admitting the impossible was possible. Walking through nothing and disappearing. It just didn't happen.

"Faye?" Sam was looking at me expectantly.

"Sorry, what?" I asked.

"What is up with you?" Sam asked, leaving behind whatever she had asked me before, "It's like talking to a zombie, you're never there!"

"Sorry, I was thinking of- someone." I finished awkwardly.

"Is this someone a guy?" Sam asked, straight forward and blunt. I say no point in lying.

"Yes." She can infer whatever she wanted, I never said I liked him. Neither did I say I thought he was a hallucination.

"Faye! Why didn't you tell me?!" Sam said, grabbing my arm.

"Careful, careful." I said, "I am driving ya know."

"Sorry, omigod! you shoulda told us!" Us being her and Mel.

"You can't say a word to Mel yet." I said, unsure what else to say.

"Why?"

"Cause he's still a question mark." I said, fumbling for a new topic.

"Fine, I won't say anything just yet. Soon. As soon as you know." Sam said. I didn't know what I was supposed to know so I let the subject drop.

Then I realized something. I was lost. I hadn't been paying attention to where I was going and now I didn't know where I was. I said so and Sam burst out laughing. We puttered around for a while, looking for a way home. Eventually we stopped for lunch at a fast food joint.

We spent the rest of the afternoon searching for a way home. Sam thought it was hilarious and by the time we found our way back, she had to go home.

"Thank you Faye, for a truly interesting afternoon."

"Goodbye Sam." She left and I drove home.

______________________________________

I walked into my room and nearly screamed.

Demetri was sitting at my desk, apparently at ease. "Holy crap!"

"Hi Faye, I guess you aren't running?"

"I don't do what my hallucinations tell me to do." I said, a little angrily, more from the fact that he was sitting there then anything else. He laughed, still arrogant.

"Faye, do what I say." He said, completely serious and still arrogantly, I have no idea why he thought I was going to do what he said.

"Rhyming now, are we?" I asked, still sarcastic.

"Do it." He said, confident he could get me to.

"Why?" I asked, being difficult, "You're a hallucination."

"Why do you keep saying that?" He asked, looking at me. I looked into his eyes, I didn't want him to be a hallucination.

"Because it's true." I said, picking up my bag and shutting my bedroom door.

"If I'm your hallucination, there's no point in closing the door, no one else should be able to see me." he smirked, sure that he was right. "So you must think I'm real."

Demetri had an excellent point, I didn't know what to say. As I thought, he twirled a pen from my desk lazily, he really was arrogant, and sure of himself.

"I closed the door so no one would think it was weird I was talking to myself."

"How long did it take you to come up with that one?" I decided to ignore his comment.

"Why am I hallucinating you twice in one day?" I challenged.

"You've been hallucinating about me when I'm not here? Can't say I'm surprised, I have that effect on people." Demetri said, starting off sarcastically and changing into his usual tone of voice after.

"I mean why have you showed up twice?" I asked, vaguely annoyed.

"Simple," he said, "when you don't listen the first time, I come back."

"What was I supposed to listen to?" I raised an eyebrow to go along with my question.

"Good God, you have to run!" Demetri said.

"Oh right!" I said, "Still not gonna do what my hallucination says." He quit twirling my pen and stood up.

"How many hallucinations have you had before?"

"Including you and counting both your visits? This is my fifth."

"For how many of them did everything change? Background and all?" He asked, Demetri seemed to know what he was doing and had an idea.

"Two." I said, uncertainly.

"Did you have one of an old man? White hair, balding, blue eyes?" he asked, he seemed to be getting almost desperate but I passed it off because my vision was tilting.

"Yes, but I wouldn't have called his eyes normal blue, icy, mechanical blue, maybe." I said, my voice steady despite my blurry vision.

"Shit." he said and started to say something else but I tumbled to the floor and blacked out.

____________________________________

When I woke up I was lying on my bed, Demetri was gone. Had I had a hallucination inside a hallucination? That was a scary thought. Or a less scary thought. Demetri was real.

If he wasn't real, how'd I get to the bed? I know I didn't fall onto it. The thought of a real live Demetri made me just a little happy.

The thought of a real Demetri carrying me onto my bed made me blush. Then I scolded myself, he's a hallucination, probably.

********************************

Picture of Demetri in Faye's room ---------------------------------------------------------------------->

Hope you guys are liking it, this actually is my last update before camp. PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE AND KEEP READING!!!! Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!! :)

-Jodi