14

You nodded to the two human children. "Yes. I thought you've seen it already? Your traitorous gem colleagues said they've—"

"Was it green-ish? Looked like a giant hand...?" The girl raised her arm up and mimicked the shape of the ship; with its fingers dangling in a formal manner and the hand bent downwards.

You nodded. "Yes, that's kind of what it looked like. How do you know about this? The ship crashed far from—" Once again, you were interrupted by the humans; the boy specifically.

"Oh, it didn't really crash far from Beach City. The place you landed was along the longest shoreline we have. It takes a long time to walk it. You guys took the hard way!" He chuckled, and then the girl nudged him.

"What's your name?" The girl asked curiously while the boy went to try and calm down the Peridot. She was having a mini mental breakdown.

"I'm (G/N)," you smiled at her.

"I'm Connie Maheswaran. Nice to meet you!" She held out her hand. Clasped around it was a small band that was softly glowing red.

You stared at her hand for quite some time as an awkward silence passed between you both, and the only thing you could here was the human boy comforting Peridot, and all her sobs. It got even weirder when Peridot was trying to slap him.

"...okay then, I assume you're not accustomed to handshakes, huh?" She flashed you a simple, unnerved smile. You shook your head and turned your vision to the slap fight in the corner. "...Who's the other human?" You asked, pointing to him.

"Oh, that's Steven! Steven Universe! He's my best friend, and he helps lead the Crystal Gems! I work with him as an expert swordwoman," Connie boasted proudly, placing her hands on her hips and smirking.

After a minute of staring at him, you snorted. "...That tiny human leads this group...?" You snorted again and barked with laughter. "And you? You're only a mere baby! How can you wield a weapon at this age?" Connie seemed a little offended, although you were right; he is tiny. 

"Hey! I'm 12 and 3/4, I'm old enough!" The girl protested and stomped her foot. That made you laugh harder. "You're just a baby!" You cried out. Two babies, one a short leader -you were taller than him by (S/S) {{specific size}}!- and a child that believed she could fight.

"Haha!" You continued to laugh

Peridot has finally calmed down, and she had stopped slapping Steven. Steven's cheeks were bright pink, because of all the handprints left upon his face. He dragged a given-up Peridot over to the group. "I've got her to calm down... how about you?" He seemed to not register your presence.

"She's... quite the jokester, I must admit," Connie says quietly.

You took a deep breath and sighed. "Back to the ship. Is it possible that you could fix it? And where's Jasper? We need her... and Lapis! Lapis too!" You asked impatiently.

Steven froze a little upon the mentioning of Lapis.

Now, for this AU, Lapis has already been freed from the mirror, and similarly to Jailbreak, they return (with you) to check upon the status of the cluster. Instead, malfunctions occur, and Lapis goes missing.

"She's... missing. She has been since we first brought her back to the temple and let her stay the night," Steven answers sadly. "She flew off. I saw her... her wings were already spread by the time I ran outside to catch her."

You groaned. "Great, Jasper is gonna be pissed!"

Steven looked up at the ceiling, where Jasper's bubble flew back up again. He leaped up for it and brought it back down. "...She's a mean gem. Is she your leader?" The boy's innocent eyes powered into yours.

The question made you think for a long moment. 'Is she my leader, though? I mean, she does command us, but on the other hand—'

Your thoughts were interrupted when Peridot had snatched the bubble and started to run away, snickering. Instead of the great escape she planned in her gem, she tripped over Connie's boot and was sent flying. The bubble popped on the ground, and Jasper's gem clattered noisily on the stone floor. Slowly, it rose into the air and began to grow.

Suddenly, a loud 'whoosh' came from upstairs, followed by angry footsteps. "Steven!" Garnet's distant voice shouted. She kept calling him, and her voice became closer.

"Oh no," you cried.

"Uh oh!" The humans said worriedly.

"Darn it!" Peridot screeched.

"STEVEN!" Garnet stormed into the room, gauntlets ready.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, I promise the next one will be better~